by User: Botanicaxu
|Residence||Urithiru |
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Mraize is a member of the Ghostbloods on Roshar. He is a worldhopper and might be in possession of Tears of Edgli, among other artifacts. His name is unknown, as the term "Mraize" is a title, not a name. He corrects Shallan when she attempts to call him 'Brightlord.' Shallan mentions that the title is not Vorin in origin, and difficult to pronounce. As he also refers to Iyatil as his babsk, a Thaylen title, it is evidenced that he is from Thaylenah.
Appearance and Personality
Mraize has jet black hair and light violet eyes. His face and hands are both covered in scars, including one which crosses his cheek vertically and deforms his upper lip. He is almost always sharply dressed in fine suits, wearing white the first time Shallan Davar meets him. He wears a golden signet ring on his middle finger with the three-diamond symbol of the Ghostbloods.
Mraize has a refined air which seems to conflict with his scarred appearance. He usually speaks quietly and calmly, with an accent Shallan cannot recognize. Despite his cultured manner, he is not always serious, growing warm and friendly when Shallan has impressed him. Something about him reminds Shallan of Hoid when she first sees him, though she quickly denies any resemblance when he turns toward her.
He seems to be a hunter, possessing trophies from several notable animals in Roshar on display in his hideout, including a whitespine tusk, a Santhid skull and gemhearts from greatshells. He also speaks with disdain of Tyn's supposed fear of meeting with him, stating that the apparent cowardice shows she is acting like "prey", and refers to Amaram as his current prey.
Despite his occasional likeable air, he has no problem with killing, or even letting his allies attempt to kill someone he is interested in, as he gives the other Ghostbloods permission to attempt to assassinate Shallan before she becomes a full member. He mentions he likes to learn the local weapons of cultures he wants to understand. He makes use of a blowgun with poisoned darts which is apparently a Parshendi hunting weapon. He also speaks of torturing Shallan for information as "fun."
He refers to the Parshendi as the Listeners, one of few in the warcamps to do so.
Mraize with his blowgun by User: Sheep
The Shattered Plains
Mraize, as leader of the Ghostbloods, seems to report to Master Thaidakar. He confirms to be behind the assassination attempt of Jasnah Kholin that took place on her ship sailing toward the shattered planes. He had sent a hunter, Tyn to execute the task. When he sends a spanreed to her, Shallan, who had killed her, intercepts it and decides to go meet him herself looking as Veil. When they meet, Shallan keeps the pretense of Tyn being alive and manages to get Mraize to trust her with a task. She is to break into Amaram's manor and find the secrets he keeps and report them back. Shallan agrees and manages to escape without being followed.
After that, he also confirmed to have surveilled the site to supervise the task. He was pleased when he saw Veil again and believing they had not tried to do the task, she delivered maps and some texts from Amaram. He was also amazed with her drawing skills and deduced she had killed Tyn. Mraize offered her the opportunity to be part of the organization, but was explicit to say she was not in yet, and that killing people within the organization was not encouraged at all. On her way out, she decided not to take the coach and hid, she later found that they had killed her coachman as consequence of a failed attempt on her life.
The second task Mraize asked of Veil (Shallan) was to get information from a madman inside Dalinar’s warcamp, as well as confirm his allegiance. He knew Gavilar knew things of an extraordinary nature. As Shallan manages it and deliver information on the Herald, Mraize accepts her into the Ghostbloods. He also said “the truth destroys more people than it saves”.
During the Battle of Narak, Mraize found out Shallan's true identity. He confronted her days later in Urithiru, stating his belief that she is "herself" when she is Veil. He explained that he had her brothers in custody and would deliver them as reward for her services, but he wanted continue working with her. He revealed deep knowledge on the Davar's family and confirmed they owe him a Soulcaster.
Shortly after, he found a position at the inner circle of Ialai Sadeas to keep a close eye on her--as she had interests of her own, without allegiances to other human or listener. Though his whereabouts and end goals are not fully known, he does request two tasks of Shallan: first, to secure Urithiru and to hunt the source of darkness and expunge it.. Mraize promised information on Helaran in exchange for the first task, and later complied. He let her know he was a skybreaker who probably went to kill Amaram on their behalf..
On the day of Shallan's wedding, he sent her brothers to her with a note, stating that they were her wedding's gift and her reward for the task was to lower her family's debt owed from the destruction of the Soulcaster. That note also explained Shallan's second task: to find the Unmade who seems willing to break from Odium and persuade her to join the Ghostbloods..
Attributes and Abilities
Mraize is a worldhopper. He doesn't seem to have magical abilities. His power resides on his knowledge and possessions. Among his possesions he has a green chicken which is known to be an Aviar. He also has white sand that turns dark and a stick with weird scripts. He is also believed to have Tears of Edgli. Much of these possesions and knowledge were gained outside of Roshar.
His knowledge gives him the capacity to blackmail, persuade and manipulate which is what makes him, as leader of the Ghostbloods so dangerous.[disputed]
- Shallan Davar
- Mraize is Shallan's superior within the Ghostbloods, and he gives her most of her missions for that organization. However, Shallan sees him as an enemy who she needs to work against, and that she only does as he asks in order to discover more about him. Mraize originally knows her by the codename "Veil," and sees her as a valuable and competent asset with many skills. He often calls her "little knife" when speaking with her. By the time the Alethi are starting to occupy Urithiru after its rediscovery, he has discovered her true identity, but simply believes this makes her more valuable, should he be able to convince her to continue working with the Ghostbloods.
- At first glance, Iyatil seems to be one of Mraize's lackeys, and a fellow Ghostbloods member, or perhaps his second-in-command. She is the one who follows Shallan while Mraize is investigating her, and presumably reports back to him. However, with Shallan, Iyatil mentions that he is her student, not her master, making her a viable candidate for his babsk.
- Mraize speaks of him as an enemy of the Ghostbloods. Considering that Amaram reports to Restares, it is likely that he is the leader of the Sons of Honor and are opposed to Ghostblood causes.
- Mraize refers to him as Master Thaidakar, and sends the information Shallan manages to get from Amaram to him. Possibly a superior within the Ghostbloods or an unaffiliated ally.
- While Mraize and Taravangian do not interact, Adrotagia, one of Taravangian's companions, makes a note on the Diagram wondering if a section of it refers to Mraize. Mraize seems to be speaking of Taravangian when he says "I'm not worried about that one. The old fool sows chaos, but does not reach for the power offered by opportunity. He hides in his insignificant city, listening to its songs, thinking he plays in world events. He has no idea. His is not the position of the hunter."
”The truth destroys more people than it saves.— To Veil via spanreed after she calls herself seeker of truth.
”Morality is as ephemeral as the changing weather.— Mraize to Shallan on not trusting the Sadeas couple
- He owns a white tree branch-like thing that comes from Yolen. It is stored at his treasure room.
- Orem signing 2014
— Arcanum - 2014-12-06#
- Peter Ahlstrom post on 17th Shard
— Arcanum - 2014-08-12#
- Words of Radiance chapter 43 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 54 #
- Oathbringer chapter 22 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 64 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 88 #
- Oathbringer chapter 39 #
- Oathbringer chapter 122 #
- Oathbringer interlude I-8 #
- Arcanum entry 8807
Error: missing reference description, click to import.
- Words of Radiance chapter 63 #
- Shadows of Self signing London UK
— Arcanum - 2015-10-19#
|Shards||Ambition · Autonomy · Cultivation · Devotion · Dominion · Endowment · Honor · Odium · Preservation · Ruin · Survival Shard|
|Planets||Ashyn · Braize · First of the Sun · Nalthis · Obrodai · Roshar · Scadrial · Sel · Taldain · Threnody · Vax · Yolen|
|Terms||Adonalsium · Sliver · Splinter · Realmatic Theory · Investiture · Connection · Identity · Fortune · Intention · Perpendicularity · Spiritweb|
|Worldhoppers||Hoid · Khriss · Nazh · Iyatil · Mraize · Vasher · Vivenna · Galladon · Demoux · Baon · Felt · Marsh · Nightblood|
|Other||Seventeenth Shard · Ire · Shattering · Letters · Silverlight|