Order of Truthwatchers
|Order of Truthwatchers|
|Surges||Progression & Illumination|
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Ideals of the Truthwatchers
The Ideals of the Knights Radiant, also known as the Immortal Words, are a set of rules by which the Knights Radiant lived. The First Ideal, identical for all orders of the Knights Radiant, is used as their motto. Each order of the Knights Radiant had an additional four ideals that were unique to each order. In general, the Truthwatchers' oaths focused on using knowledge to help other people.
The First Ideal
”Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.—The First Ideal of the Knights Radiant
The Truthwatchers use the Surges of Progression and Illumination.
Progression was used by Ym to heal a small boy's foot of an infection, and by Lift (an Edgedancer) to revive and heal Gawx after his throat was slit. Lift also used it to cause seeds to grow suddenly into plants. Renarin uses Progression to heal Adolin’s broken wrist. He also uses it to heal those who were injured when the Midnight Mother attacks Adolin and Bridge Four. The Stump also unknowingly uses it to heal people who come under her care. It is described in the Ars Arcanum at the end of Words of Radiance as "The Surge of Growth and Healing, or Regrowth".
Illumination is used by Shallan Davar member of the Order of Lightweavers to craft illusions by weaving light, sound and various waveforms. She uses this to change her own appearance for disguses or other purposes, create illusions of walls and rocks to hide behind and in, and to create illusions of herself to confuse or distract. Truthwatchers may be able to perform similar feats, however there may be differences in how they use the Surge.
Renarin Kholin saw the Everstorm coming even though he had no line of sight on it, and said that he could see the future, although he incorrectly predicted the death of himself and those around him. He also later stated that Truthwatchers are unique because "they see".
The Truthwatchers were silent and secretive most of the time.
They were also considered esoteric.
- Renarin Kholin (bonded to Glys) considers himself to be a Truthwatcher, though Glys's corruption by Sja-anat makes his precise status unclear.
- Ym is confirmed to have been on the path of becoming a Truthwatcher. He was observed using Progression.
- The Stump, who runs Tashi's Light Orphanage, appears to be a Truthwatcher, as she has the undeveloped power of Regrowth. Her spren appears to her as "light reflected on a wall from a mirror," not like a vine, like Wyndle.
”Now, as the Truthwatchers were esoteric in nature, their order being formed entirely of those who never spoke or wrote of what they did, in this lies frustration for those who would see their exceeding secrecy from the outside; they were not naturally inclined to explanation; and in the case of Corberon's disagreements, their silence was not a sign of exceeding abundance of disdain, but rather an exceeding abundance of tact.
- Words of Radiance chapter 52 epigraph Summary: Words of Radiance/Epigraphs/Chapter_52#
- EuroCon 2016
— Arcanum - 2016-11-05#
- Oathbringer Chicago signing
— Arcanum - 2017-11-21#
- The Way of Kings chapter 59 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_59#
- Words of Radiance interlude I-2 Summary: Words of Radiance/Interlude_I-2#
- Words of Radiance interlude I-9 Summary: Words of Radiance/Interlude_I-9#
- Words of Radiance chapter 85 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_85#
- Words of Radiance chapter 89 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_89#
- Arcanum Unbounded signing Hoboken
— Arcanum - 2016-12-03#
- Edgedancer chapter 20 Summary: Edgedancer/Chapter_20#
- Words of Radiance chapter 52 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_52#