by User: Otto didact
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
”We are Iriali, and part of the Long Trail, of which this is the Fourth Land. … Eventually, all will be gathered back in—when the Seventh Land is attained—and we will once again become One.
Iri is a kingdom in northwestern Roshar. Prior to the Recreance, it was one of the Silver Kingdoms. People from Iri are called Iriali. Iri is ruled by three monarchs, currently two kings and a queen. The Iriali queen has authority over foreign policy.
Geography and Ecology
The largest city in Iri is Rall Elorim, City of Shadows, followed closely by Kasitor. Many people in Kasitor worship Cusicesh the Protector, a giant spren, as a deity. Iri also contains the city of Eila. Due to its northwestern position on Roshar, Iri is warmer than most other nations.
The Iriali are not native to Roshar. They believe that they are part of something they call the "Long Trail", of which they are currently in the Fourth Land; fans speculate that this means they have been to three planets before coming to Roshar. It is not known what those planets might be, or when they came to Roshar, though it is known that they migrated to Roshar from somewhere besides Ashyn, separately from the rest of humanity. They have had what most would consider to be inhuman ancestry in their past, depending on what is considered human.
The Iriali are ruled by a triumvirate of rulers. The gender of the ruler is apparently unimportant, though currently they are ruled by two kings and a queen. The Queen currently has responsibilities over foreign policy. The nation of Iri claims authority over their "sister nation" of Rira, but Rira disputes that claim. 
The Iriali have metallic golden-blond hair that breeds true. Many Alethi consider a lock of the golden hair of the Iriali to be good luck. The Iriali are particular about chastity laws, and dislike public nudity. The men often wear only waist wraps on warmer days. The Iriali also paint their skin with colors and patterns. The Iriali tend to be less quarrelsome and prudish than the Vorin nations. They mostly have yellow eyes.
The Iriali worship a god they call "The One", thought to be equivalent to the Vorin Almighty. One knew everything but had experienced nothing. And so One became Many in order to experience all things. As each experience is different, it brings completeness to One. Eventually, all will be gathered back in when the sum of land is attained and they will once again become One. Every person is a different mind of a single being experiencing different lives. As Many, they need ignorance. Each fragment of the One’s mind has its own body with different passions and inclinations. They exist in variety to experience all kinds of thought. That means some people must know and others must not. Just like some people must be rich and others poor.
The Iriali religion may involve fortune-telling with ocean waves, as a member of the Iriali court is the court tidereader. A spanreed meeting between the Iriali queen and Dalinar was moved up because of something seen in the waves.
Notable Citizens & Visitors
- Ym is an Iriali cobbler and incipient Surgebinder who is killed by Nale.
- Wyndle originally wants to form a bond with a distinguished Iriali matron, but the Ring chooses for him to bond Lift instead.
- Axies the Collector, an Aimian, visits Iri to look for spren.
- Rysn and her babsk, Vstim, visit Iri, and Rysn manages to offend the Iriali somehow.
- Words of Radiance interlude I-2 Summary: Words of Radiance/Interlude_I-2#
- Map of Roshar
- Map of Silver Kingdoms
- Oathbringer chapter 16 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_16#
- The Way of Kings interlude I-5 Summary: The Way of Kings/Interlude_I-5#
- The Way of Kings chapter 16 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_16#
- Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing
— Arcanum - 2016-12-06#
- JordanCon 2018
— Arcanum - 2018-04-22#
- Skyward release party
— Arcanum - 2018-11-06#
- The Way of Kings chapter 18 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_18#
- Words of Radiance chapter 20 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_20#
- Oathbringer chapter 19 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_19#
- Words of Radiance interlude I-9 Summary: Words of Radiance/Interlude_I-9#
- Words of Radiance interlude I-3 Summary: Words of Radiance/Interlude_I-3#