by User: Otto didact
|Ethnicity||Dysian Aimian & Siah Aimian|
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Aimia is a group of islands on Roshar that is separated from the main continent by the Aimian Sea. The islands contained one of the Silver Kingdoms of Roshar that survived the Desolations. As far as can be gleaned, the Kingdom of Aimia existed for most of the Era of Solitude, but at some point it was decimated in the Scouring of Aimia.
Aimia is an island chain that consists of one large island and numerous smaller islands situated off the west coast of Shinovar. It is bordered on the east by the Aimian Sea and on the west by the Endless Ocean. At least some of the islands had undersea caverns. Aimia is subject to highstorms.
There are two races of Aimians: Dysian Aimians (or Sleepless) and Siah Aimians. They are non-human sentient beings. Although they are not related, they each possess numerous unusual traits including a form of immortality and the ability to magically modify their bodies. Humans are able to mate with Siah Aimians but not Dysian Aimians. Although the Aimians have no shared ancestry with humans or singers, they were created by the same person, presumably Adonalsium. This implies that, like humans and singers, they existed before the Shattering. However, it is unknown whether or not they are native to Roshar.
Many of the animals native to Aimia differ from other animals on Roshar. Unlike Shin animals, Aimian animals fit into the ecosystem of Roshar but have exceptional features that make them distinct, including lanceryn, known for their large gemhearts, and larkin, known for ingesting Investiture such as Stormlight. Lanceryn and larkin are directly related in some way. Aimian animals are now exceptionally rare and modern Rosharans incorrectly believe that larkin are extinct. Rysn acquired a larkin in the Reshi Isles, but its origin is unclear.
At least one ancient text alludes to delicacies that come from Aimia, possibly from endemic plants or animals.
Aimia was one of the Silver Kingdoms during the Heraldic Epochs. It contained an Oathgate connecting it to Urithiru. As one of the ten kingdoms and a holder of an Oathgate, it likely held one of the ten thrones in Urithiru. Akinah was the capital of the kingdom, and it was once a grand city built on a natural rock formation with tenfold symmetry. It was also known as the location to obtain Soulcasters. Siah Aimians were integrated into larger Rosharan society to the point that they are partial ancestors of some ethnic groups on the main continent.
Scouring of Aimia
At some point, the Scouring of Aimia occurred. The timeframe is not clear - Axies the Collector believes it to be fairly recent, but his immortality may skew his perception of time. The Scouring is known to have decimated life on the islands. Native animals nearly went extinct, and members of both native races are now rare. The Oathgate in Akinah was either destroyed or fell into disuse, isolating the islands.
The Aimian Sea near the islands became very dangerous, with strange winds and storms that seem to originate in the islands. Akinah is now surrounded by a wall of Soulcast stone spikes that are forty feet tall, with additional spikes underwater to deter ships. Kaza believes that the spikes must have been created by multiple Soulcasters working together.
Enough time has passed since the Scouring that myths and stories about the Aimian islands and their people have spread. Akinah has many nicknames including "The Rock of Secrets" and "The Void's Playground", and Rosharans speculate about what it contains. Some individual Aimians survive, and at least some are still on the islands. Other cultures on Roshar are aware that Aimians still exist, but generally have negative reactions to them if discovered.
The ship First Dreams manages to approach Akinah, but the crew is poisoned by one of the Sleepless, who is actively preventing humans from reaching the island. The Sleepless says that she is protecting a secret that could lead to the "end of worlds". It is not clear if other Aimians are also protecting the island. Kaza makes it to shore and sees a larkin and the crem-encrusted ruins of the once-ornate city before dying.
Hidden Dysian Amians
- Unknown Aimian - the author of Stormlight cover copies
- Map of Roshar
- Map of Silver Kingdoms
- The Way of Kings chapter 36 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_36#
- Oathbringer chapter 8 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_8#
- Oathbringer chapter 63 epigraph Summary: Oathbringer/Epigraphs/Chapter_63#
- Waygate Foundation Write-a-thon
— Arcanum - 2014-01-17#
- Oathbringer interlude I-4 Summary: Oathbringer/Interlude_I-4#
- The Way of Kings chapter 54 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_54#
- The Way of Kings interlude I-5 Summary: The Way of Kings/Interlude_I-5#
- 17th Shard Forum Q&A
— Arcanum - 2012-09-28#
- Shadows of Self Boston signing
— Arcanum - 2015-10-14#
- Arcanum Unbounded Seattle signing
— Arcanum - 2016-12-01#
- Edgedancer chapter 18 Summary: Edgedancer/Chapter_18#
- Oathbringer interlude I-5 Summary: Oathbringer/Interlude_I-5#
- #SandersonChat Twitter Q&A with Audible.com
— Arcanum - 2016-02-04#
- Legion Release Party
— Arcanum - 2018-09-19#
- English Reading Series at BYU 2018
— Arcanum - 2018-02-23#
- /r/fantasy AMA 2017
— Arcanum - 2017-05-30#
- Idaho Falls signing
— Arcanum - 2018-07-21#
- Oathbringer interlude I-13 Summary: Oathbringer/Interlude_I-13#
- Words of Radiance Seattle signing
— Arcanum - 2014-03-08#
- Words of Radiance interlude I-3 Summary: Words of Radiance/Interlude_I-3#
- Words of Radiance interlude I-2 Summary: Words of Radiance/Interlude_I-2#
- Oathbringer chapter 53 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_53#
- Oathbringer chapter 107 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_107#
- The Way of Kings chapter 45 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_45#
- Kabsal's Cymatics notes
- Oathbringer chapter 113 epigraph Summary: Oathbringer/Epigraphs/Chapter_113#
- Oathbringer Leeds signing
— Arcanum - 2017-12-01#
- Orem Signing
— Arcanum - 2019-03-16#