by Rebecca Sorge
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
"I'm not some glorious knight of ancient days. I'm a broken man. Do you hear me, Syl? I'm broken."
She zipped up to him and whispered, "That’s what they all were, silly" ”
The Knights Radiant were an organization of Surgebinders on Roshar. Their Orders were centered at Urithiru, but they lived all across Alethela, the Silver Kingdom who had to maintain the arts of war. They considered it their duty and privilege to stay vigilant for Desolations. It is commonly believed that they betrayed mankind on the Day of Recreance, and were then referred to as the Lost Radiants. Their symbol was golden hourglass shape, of eight spheres connected with two at the center. The Parshendi call them Neshua Kadal; Radiant Knight.
The first Surgebinders came to be as a result of spren trying to imitate what Honor had given his Heralds. The spren formed bonds with the mankind to give them Surgebinding abilities. Honor was surprised by their coming, because he hadn't taught it to his Heralds. These Surgebinders were later formed into the ten orders of the Knights Radiant by the Herald Ishar'Elin, for the purpose of watching for the coming Desolations, and helping men fight, then rebuild the society from the destruction of the Desolations, and they adopted the city of Urithiru as their base. For a long time, they maintained their duty, until eventually they abandoned it on what is now known as the Day of Recreance, and possibly even turned against their wards, as some legends say. This betrayal caused many spren to die, their corpses becoming tools of destruction, and as a result they stopped granting humanity Surgebinding.
In recent times, sensing an impending danger, the spren started returning to mankind as an act of self-preservation. People all over Roshar started gaining Surgebinding powers by forming Nahel bonds with the spren in the following years. At the beginning of the year 1174, Urithiru was reclaimed, and the Knights Radiant were re-founded with initially four members; Kaladin, Shallan Davar, Dalinar Kholin, and Renarin Kholin.
Radiant Orders and Powers
The Knights Radiant comprised ten different Orders, some of which had several hundred members. Each Order had two Surges associated with it, and each Surge was used by two different Orders. Scholars associated the ten Orders with the Ten Essences as well.
- Order of Windrunners
- The first Order of the Knights Radiant with the ability to bind Surges Adhesion and Gravitation. The combination of these two Surges resulted in the powers known as the Three Lashings.
- Order of Skybreakers
- The second Order of the Knights Radiant with the ability to bind Surges Gravitation and Division.
- Order of Dustbringers
- The third Order of the Knights Radiant with the ability to bind Surges Division and Abrasion. They could apparently destroy things.
- Order of Edgedancers
- The fourth Order of the Knights Radiant with the ability to bind Surges Abrasion and Progression.
- Order of Truthwatchers
- The fifth Order of the Knights Radiant with the ability to bind Surges Progression and Illumination.
- Order of Lightweavers
- The sixth Order of the Knights Radiant with the ability to bind Surges Illumination and Transformation. They could create illusions and had the inherent ability to Soulcast.
- Order of Elsecallers
- The seventh Order of the Knights Radiant with the ability to bind Surges Transformation and Transportation. They had the inherent ability to Soulcast.
- Order of Willshapers
- The eighth Order of the Knights Radiant with the ability to bind Surges Transportation and Cohesion.
- Order of Stonewards
- The ninth Order of the Knights Radiant with the ability to bind Surges Cohesion and Tension.
- Order of Bondsmiths
- The tenth Order of the Knights Radiant with the ability to bind Surges Tension and Adhesion.
The Knights Radiant also used Shardblades and Shardplates, which were etched with glyphs and glowed a different color according to the Order they were a part of. Not all Radiant have Access to shard and many Orders don't receive them until they have said multiple Ideals.
Many orders of the knights are able to grant a the ability to use Stormlight and some of their Surges to people hoping to become knights themselves. Hopeful squires must start themselves on the path of becoming a member of that order. For Windrunners this appears to be coming to a mental state geared to protecting. Each order follows a path and with a Knight willing to help the first steps can be taken before Bonding a Spren themselves. This shows the Spren what people are good candidates for each order, and reducing the chance that a Spren will die from failed oaths.
- Known orders to have Squires
”Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.—The First Ideal of the Knights Radiant
The Ideals of the Knights Radiant, known as The Immortal Words, serve as a guide to them for how they were to live their lives. Each order of Radiants have five Ideals, with the First Ideal being the same for every order sometimes called the Ideal of Radiance acts as a motto and guide for the entire organization of Knights Radiant, while the four later Ideals are different for every order. The Unique Ideals of Each order are part of a journey to progress them on a path and to keep the Surges from being used without restraint.
Vorinism taught that the Knights Radiant betrayed the people. It was taught that their powers were not real, but elaborate tricks, and that they only pretended to have a holy calling. The "evidence" for this was that the powers could not be reproduced.
- Words of Radiance chapter 68
- The Way of Kings chapter 49
- The Way of Kings chapter 67
- The Way of Kings chapter 68
- Words of Radiance chapter 4
- The Way of Kings chapter 60
- The Way of Kings chapter 52
- The Way of Kings chapter 45
- Words of Radiance chapter 3
- Words of Radiance chapter 1
- Words of Radiance chapter 89
- Seattle Signing Report
— 17th Shard forums - 10/14/2013#
- The Way of Kings prologue
- Prelude to the Stormlight Archive
- Release announcement
— Tor.com - Feb 28 2013#
- The Way of Kings chapter 72