|Abilities||Cognitive Shadow, Shardbearer (formerly)|
|Titles||Herald of the Almighty, Patron of the Truthwatchers|
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
The cultural references to Pailiah imply that she might've been a scholar prior to becoming a Herald. As a Herald, she's a Cognitive Shadow, and every time she dies, she travels to Braize. There, she's tortured until she or one of the other Heralds break, returning them to life on Roshar. While alive, she's ageless, making her effectively immortal so long as she avoids conflict.
Back when Pailiah wielded her Honorblade, she had the ability to use the Surges of Illumination, allowing her to create illusions of light and sound, and Progression, letting her grow plants and heal herself and others. She would also have the ability to breathe in Stormlight, compounding her self-healing power. However, she has abandoned her Blade at the Aharietiam, losing her access to Stormlight and Surgebinding. Whether she has any supernatural abilities other than longevity in the present day is uncertain.
Like most other Heralds, Pailiah was born on Ashyn and made the trip to Roshar when the former was destroyed by a man-made catastrophe. She was likely a scholar of some sort -- at the very least, she was an important figure in the early Rosharan society. When the Desolations began, she was one of the ten people made Heralds by Honor and given a Honorblade.
Along with all Heralds but Taln, Pailiah abandoned the Oathpact at the end of the Aharietiam. Her current whereabouts are uncertain. It's highly likely she's in the Palanaeum of Kharbranth, posing as an ardent from the Devotary of Insight, although she does not belong to Taravangian's inner circle of advisors. If so, Shallan may have crossed paths with her while studying under Jasnah.
Pailiah features in several Rosharan idioms, such as "Pali's mind" and "Pailiah knew...", referencing her nature as Learned. There are temples to her in major cities on Roshar, like Kholinar and Thaylen.
- Under Vorin rules, where "h" can stand for any letter, Pailiah is a symmetrical name, making her one of the only three Heralds, alongside Shalash and Kalak, whose names weren't altered by the Vorin culture (although Kalak became Kelek due to linguistic drift).
- Early on, Brandon readily confirmed that the old ardent in the Palanaeum is Pailiah. Later, however, when questioned about it, he was a lot more ambiguous.
- General Reddit 2014
— Arcanum - 2014-03-10#
- Oathbringer chapter 38 #
- Oathbringer chapter 119 #
- Prelude to the Stormlight Archive #
- Skyward Denver signing
— Arcanum - 2018-11-15#
- General Signed Books 2017
— Arcanum - 2017-04-10#
- Skyward Pre-Release AMA
— Arcanum - 2018-10-31#
- Skyward release party
— Arcanum - 2018-11-06#
- The Way of Kings chapter 33 #
- Oathbringer Ars Arcanum #
- Steelheart signing Seattle
— Arcanum - 2013-10-14#
- Words of Radiance interlude I-14 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 14 #
- Map of Kholinar
- Oathbringer chapter 117 #
It has yet to be reviewed.