|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Composition and Purpose
The Ring consists of multiple members, as Wyndle refers to it as "they". They view the Old Magic's touch on Lift as a blessing from their "mother", the same term that Wyndle uses for the Shard Cultivation. The usual purpose of the Ring is not clear, but they appear to have authority among cultivationspren, as Wyndle was compelled to take an assignment at their request.
Wyndle tells Lift that the cultivationspren decided to start trying to form new Nahel bonds after other spren such as Cryptics and honorspren start to do so. They are not sure how exactly to accomplish this due to the length of time since the Recreance, and the Ring serves as a committee that oversees the process.
Wyndle notes that he was happy living in Shadesmar when the Ring chose him to try and form a Nahel bond with someone in the Physical Realm. He is not happy about his mission and refers to it as an "atrocious duty". The Ring was additionally responsible for the specific choice of Lift as a bond partner for Wyndle, a choice that he did not agree with. However, the Ring viewed Lift's youth and her experience with the Old Magic as positive traits in a candidate. Wyndle notes that bonding with Lift was easier than expected, speculating that the Old Magic has caused her to exist partially in the Cognitive Realm. Wyndle later accepts the fact that he needed to be sent on assignment.
- Orem signing 2014
— Arcanum - 2014-12-06#
- Edgedancer chapter 1 Summary: Edgedancer/Chapter_1#
- Words of Radiance interlude I-9 Summary: Words of Radiance/Interlude_I-9#
- Oathbringer chapter 117 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_117#
- Oathbringer chapter 118 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_118#
- Edgedancer chapter 2 Summary: Edgedancer/Chapter_2#
- Edgedancer chapter 4 Summary: Edgedancer/Chapter_4#
- Edgedancer chapter 14 Summary: Edgedancer/Chapter_14#
Big Smooth (talk) 14:22, 12 July 2019 (MST)