|Related to||Realmatic Theory|
The precise nature of Fortune and how it functions and is used, is currently unclear. Fortune has been described as "luck" by less cosmere-aware groups, such as the Terris three centuries after the Catacendre. However, it is clear from other individuals that are more cosmere-aware that Fortune is more than simple luck. It's a way of knowing things you would not know otherwise, and a way in which one can see the future. It is implied that Fortune is a thing one can access and draw upon. Someone drawing upon Fortune can lead to events that appear to be coincidences.
Though the Spiritual Realm is always how future sight works in the cosmere, Fortune is not the exact same as the Spiritual Realm. Fortune is one way of accessing the Spiritual Realm. Every time one uses Fortune, they use the Spiritual Realm, but individuals can see into the Spiritual Realm without using Fortune.
In general, future sight has been said to be dangerous in the cosmere, so Fortune would likely be as well. Any time someone sees the future, it will have ripples against someone else's ability to see the future.
When the Ire spotted an agent -- who happened to be Kelsier -- Alonoe thought the sighting was not a coincidence, but Elrao, another member of the Ire, said the use of Fortune was not related to every coincidence.
Vivenna said to Shallan that, during their trip into the Cognitive Realm, Kaladin had foreseen danger by Fortune. Shallan had been suspicious, as she was told by Hoid to trust no one who sees the future -- even Hoid.
Three hundred and forty years after the Catacendre on Scadrial, the Terris were aware of Fortune. They knew a chromium Ferring (Spinner) could store Fortune. To most Terris, Fortune, as well as the other Spiritual metals of Feruchemy, were considered beyond understanding. These metals were under heavy experimentation by the Terris, but they did not fully understand it at this time.
- Brandon had atium see the future so that he would foreshadow Fortune.
- Brandon has said there is a "good reason" why he hasn't shown a character with Fortune yet, as he is saving that for later.
- The Mistborn Adventure Game's version of Fortune is not canonical, and Brandon had a different way for the mechanic to work.
- MisCon 2018
— Arcanum - 2018-05-26#
- Oathbringer Chicago signing
— Arcanum - 2017-11-21#
- The Bands of Mourning Ars Arcanum Summary: The Bands of Mourning/Ars Arcanum#
- Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing
— Arcanum - 2016-11-29#
- Oathbringer chapter 122 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_122#
- Mistborn: Secret History part 5 chapter 2 Summary: Mistborn: Secret History/Part_5_Chapter_2#
- Oathbringer release party
— Arcanum - 2017-11-13#
- Salt Lake City signing
— Arcanum - 2017-12-16#
- Skyward Seattle signing
— Arcanum - 2018-11-10#
- Oathbringer chapter 68 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_68#
- Oathbringer chapter 120 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_120#
- The Bands of Mourning chapter 3 Summary: The Bands of Mourning/Chapter_3#
- Arcanum Unbounded release party
— Arcanum - 2016-11-22#
- Arcanum Unbounded San Francisco signing
— Arcanum - 2016-11-30#
Chaos2651 (talk) 15:49, 9 June 2018 (MST)
|Shards||Ambition · Autonomy · Cultivation · Devotion · Dominion · Endowment · Honor · Odium · Preservation · Ruin · Harmony · Survival Shard|
|Planets||Ashyn · Braize · First of the Sun · Nalthis · Obrodai · Roshar · Scadrial · Sel · Taldain · Threnody · Vax · Yolen|
|Terms||Adonalsium · Sliver · Splinter · Realmatic Theory · Investiture · Connection · Identity · Fortune · Intention · Perpendicularity · Spiritweb · Resonance|
|Worldhoppers||Hoid · Khriss · Nazh · Iyatil · Mraize · Vasher · Vivenna · Galladon · Demoux · Baon · Felt · Nightblood|
|Other||Seventeenth Shard · Ire · Shattering · Letters · Silverlight|