The Coppermind has spoilers for all of Brandon's published works, now including The Lost Metal and Tress of the Emerald Sea (Secret Project 1). Information about books that have not yet been released, like the other secret novels releasing in 2023 and Stormlight 5, is allowed only on meta-pages for the books themselves. For more details, see our spoiler policy. To view an earlier version of the wiki without spoilers for a book, go to the Time Machine!
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Whitespines are dangerous crustaceans that live on Roshar.
Appearance and Anatomy
The eponymous spine is a row of spikes that runs from the head along the back of a whitespine. They are as large as horses, with a carapaced back, powerful legs, and a reptilian appearance. They have long white tusks that are used for impalement which can break off and remain lodged in their prey, causing severe damage. Whitespines have claws, including a set of vestigial claws behind their primary legs, and they smell quite unpleasant, especially when wet. They also have a nose of some sort that allows them to sniff and sneeze. They are able to enter a dormant state, most likely to hibernate, during which they appear to become coated in a thick, hard crystal-like substance that takes time to accumulate. Water washes away the crystal coating in its early stages of forming, which would make it difficult for a whitespine to undergo this metamorphosis during a highstorm.
Whitespines live in packs in dens that are often strewn with the bones of the creatures they have killed. Sometimes they will live near roadways to pick off travelers as prey. They hide near the carcass of their recent kill after consuming its meat, then hunt the scavengers that are attracted to the carcass. Whitespines are native to Alethkar and possibly other areas. They are "nastier" than chasmfiends.
Whitespines are often hunted by lighteyes and their darkeyed attendants, especially if the whitespines have been killing humans.
Brightlord Roshone and his son Rillir, along with Alds and Milp go hunting for a whitespine that has been attacking travelers. They are attacked by the whitespine; Rillir is killed, and likely Alds and Milp as well. Roshone survives the attack, but loses his leg.
Brightlord Amaram's glyphpair is in the shape of a whitespine with raised tusks, made up of the glyphs merem and khakh.
“A little like the mink wandering into the whitespine’s den and asking when dinner is... ”—
“The interior bristled with spears. Like the proverbial whitespine’s den. ”—
- ↑ a b c d The Way of Kings chapter 31Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_31#
- ↑ a b Words of Radiance chapter 55Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_55#
- ↑ a b c d The Way of Kings chapter 41Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_41#
- ↑ The Way of Kings chapter 45Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_45#
- ↑ General Reddit 2017
— Arcanum - 2017-01-28Cite: Arcanum-13255#
- ↑ a b The Way of Kings chapter 22Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_22#
- ↑ The Way of Kings chapter 11Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_11#
- ↑ Oathbringer chapter 22Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_22#
- ↑ Figment chat
— Arcanum - 2015-01-19Cite: Arcanum-2940#
- ↑ The Way of Kings chapter 44Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_44#
- ↑ The Way of Kings chapter 47Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_47#
- ↑ Words of Radiance chapter 20Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_20#
- ↑ Oathbringer chapter 83Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_83#