by Amanda "rantology" Diaz
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Whitespines are dangerous crustaceans that live on Roshar.
Appearance and Anatomy
They are as large as horses, with a carapaced back and a reptilian appearance. They have long white tusks that are used for impalement which can break off and remain lodged in their prey, causing severe damage. Whitespines have claws and they smell quite unpleasant, especially when wet. They also have a nose of some sort that allows them to sniff and sneeze. They are able to enter a dormant state, most likely to hibernate, during which they appear to become coated in a thick, hard crystal-like substance that takes time to accumulate. Water washes away the crystal coating in its early stages of forming, making it difficult for a whitespine to undergo this metamorphosis during a highstorm.
Whitespines live in packs with dens that are often strewn with the bones of the creatures they have killed. Sometimes they will live near roadways to pick off travelers as prey. They are native to Alethkar and possibly other areas.
Brightlord Roshone and his son Rillir, along with Alds and Milp go hunting for a whitespine that has been attacking travelers. They are attacked by the whitespine; Rillir is killed, and likely Alds and Milp as well. Roshone survives the attack, but loses his leg.
- Brightlord Amaram's glyphpair is in the shape of a whitespine with raised tusks, made up of the glyphs merem and khakh.
- The Way of Kings chapter 31 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_31#
- The Way of Kings chapter 41 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_41#
- The Way of Kings chapter 45 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_45#
- The Way of Kings chapter 22 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_22#
- The Way of Kings chapter 11 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_11#
- The Way of Kings chapter 44 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_44#
- The Way of Kings chapter 47 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_47#