|Featured in||The Stormlight Archive|
Spanreeds, like all conjoiner fabrials, are made by infusing a ruby and splitting it in half. The two halves are then embedded in reed pens. The two pens can then mimic the movements of the other, exactly. The energy required to for the second pen to move is provided by the holder of the first pen, which feels twice as heavy as an ordinary pen would.
The setting of the ruby is able to be rotated to switch between different "modes." One is to alert the possessor of the spanreed's twin that a conversation is desired. Another to alert the first that the message was received. The third and fourth notches sync the movements of the two pens, each notch makes one pen the transmitter and the other the receiver.
By the sixth year of the War of Reckoning spanreeds have achieved widespread use, at least among the Vorin nations, from the Shattered Plains, to Kharbranth, and even to the isolated estates of House Davar.
Tashikk is beginning to become a spanreed hub, with a number of people and places having reeds connected to various businesses in Tashikk. The Tashikk operator is hired by the remote user to exchange messages, to research on your behalf, and to make other enquiries.
You cannot operrate Spanreads whilst moving.
- Shallan Davar was in possession of a spanreed paired with one located at her family's estate which she uses to communicate with her brothers. It is lost after the sinking of the Wind's Pleasure. She is attempting to replace the lost one by sending another to her family.
- Dalinar Kholin is in possession of a number of spanreeds, including one paired with one possessed by Jasnah Kholin
- The relay station at Tashikk has at least one pair for each Alethi warcamp
- Tyn also has a Tashikk-paired reed. It is used by Tyn, and later Shallan, to contact the Ghostbloods.
- Presumably Tashikk is also paired with Kharbranth
- Meridas Amaram possesses a connection to Restares
- The Way of Kings chapter 28 #
- The Way of Kings Ars Arcanum #
- The Way of Kings chapter 39 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 24 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 88 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 7 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 21 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 47 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 1 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 67 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 42 #