|Used for||Anti-inflammatory and Recreational|
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
”Rubbing firemoss was said to make a man’s mind more receptive to thoughts and ideas. The one time Szeth had tried it, it had given him a headache and two blistered fingers.
Firemoss is a plant native to Roshar. It is an addictive drug used by rubbing the red-brown moss between the thumb and forefinger. When rubbed, it gives off wisps of smoke and a crackling sound similar to a knife scratching bone. It can blister the fingers until calluses are built up. Inhaling the smoke makes the experienced user feel euphoric.
Firemoss can also be used to reduce cranial swelling in extreme cases, although there is a high risk of the patient developing an addiction. While Kaladin is recovering from the fight with the chasmfiend and wandering in the chasms, he is offered firemoss as a pain reliever. He refuses it because he knows firemoss is addictive and remembers that his father hated using it.
Shortly after Shallan's encounter with Re-Shephir in Urithiru, Teft developed a firemoss addiction. He preferred the physical pain it gave to his mental pain, and experienced it as a sign of life. Eventually Teft got arrested because public intoxication of firemoss was forbidden.
- The Way of Kings interlude I-6 Summary: The Way of Kings/Interlude_I-6#
- Oathbringer chapter 49 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_49#
- The Way of Kings chapter 38 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_38#
- Words of Radiance chapter 76 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_76#
- Oathbringer chapter 41 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_41#
- Oathbringer chapter 104 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_104#
It has yet to be reviewed.