|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
The term "takama" generally refers to a long, straight, calf-length skirt. They are usually loose-fitting. A version of takama were worn in the time of Nohadon and are seen in one of Dalinar's visions; he notes that they are of an older style and are worn with wide girdles, often with no shirt. The skirt has some similarities to the shorter ulatu from Jah Keved.
In current-day Roshar, the skirt is traditionally worn with a loose-fitting shirt and a cloth belt. The shirt is also sometimes referred to as a "takama". The skirt can be made from fine materials and it is not unusual to see them in a formal setting. Historically, it was common for soldiers to wear long uniform jackets over the takama.
Takama were formerly popular as warriors garb as recently as a generation ago, but are rarely worn in modern Roshar. Kaladin, who grew up in rural Alethkar, first sees a takama when he is twelve or thirteen years old and is surprised at its resemblance to a woman's skirt.
Dalinar Kholin often wore a takama in his youth and tells Kadash a story about one of his swordmasters, Harth, teaching him to tie a takama in the "traditional" way, with the belt pulled tightly and tied three times. He notices that everyone else ties the belt twice, leaving the ends long and drooping. Dalinar seeks out Harth's master to ask him about it, and realizes that the master tied his belt three times not because of tradition, but because he was extremely short in stature and the long ends made him trip. Perhaps because of this embarrassment, Dalinar has never liked wearing a takama, although he did wear them during his time as the Blackthorn.
Most of the people seen wearing a takama in modern Roshar are members of the nobility or the military. They include Roshone, Sebarial,, and Elhokar. Amaram, a noted traditionalist, requires his soldiers to wear a takama as part of their uniform. Aladar has taken to wearing a shorter, modern-cut uniform jacket over his takama and the style has caught on with his officers.
- Words of Radiance chapter 38 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_38#
- The Way of Kings chapter 25 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_25#
- Oathbringer chapter 4 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_4#
- Oathbringer chapter 103 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_103#
- Words of Radiance chapter 19 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_19#
- Oathbringer chapter 16 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_16#
- The Way of Kings chapter 54 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_54#
- The Way of Kings chapter 16 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_16#
- Words of Radiance chapter 52 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_52#
- Words of Radiance chapter 8 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_8#
- Oathbringer chapter 107 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_107#
Big Smooth (talk) 19:23, 27 August 2019 (UTC)