by User: Otto didact
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
”Szeth knew that Marat was rich in culture, full of people as proud as you’d find in any nation—but of almost no value on the political scale.
Geography and Ecology
It borders the Southern Depths to the south, Tukar to the west, Emul to the northwest, and Greater Hexi to the east. The northernmost part of Marat includes the southernmost part of mountain range in the center of the continent. A river separates the border between Marat and Tukar. A grain similar to wheat that pulls down into burrows grows in Marat. Disc-like creatures with claws eat the grain then leave droppings with seeds to the east. The seeds grow into polyps, then blow back west to grow into grain.
Szeth visited the country during his exile. During the True Desolation, one of the first moves of the Fused was to gather a large force of singers in southern Marat. During their conquest, the singers pressed any survivors into labor at docks but allowed them to burn their dead. The Fused amassed a large naval fleet of over a hundred ships in the Marat ports and coves in preparation to launch an attack at Thaylen City. In the week before the assault, Venli lived in a cave and told the story of the listeners to the singers to prepare them to fight. Nale brought Szeth and the other Skybreakers there to tell them the truth of the First Desolation. The fleet left for Thaylen City during the surprise Everstorm and returned after Odium's defeat.
Marat is a tribal nation. Each city in the country is run by a leader referred to as elder brother, analogous to the highprinces of eastern nations. Marat's only contribution in global politics is its role as a waystop between Vorin and Makabaki kingdoms. Marat has a low popuation. Some people in the east, including Taravangian, consider the Marati people to be barbarians.
One of Marat's exports were fine furniture and rugs. Highprince Dalinar Kholin used some to decorate his barracks. Queen Fen gave Shallan a fine Marati rug as a wedding gift. Mraize owns rugs from Marat. West of Marat women's hands are not covered for modesty.
- Oathbringer chapter 106 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_106#
- Map of Roshar
- Oathbringer chapter 65 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_65#
- Oathbringer chapter 27 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_27#
- Oathbringer chapter 109 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_109#
- Oathbringer chapter 111 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_111#
- Oathbringer interlude I-12 Summary: Oathbringer/Interlude_I-12#
- Oathbringer chapter 121 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_121#
- Oathbringer chapter 24 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_24#
- The Way of Kings chapter 26 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_26#
- Oathbringer chapter 122 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_122#
- Words of Radiance chapter 31 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_31#
It has yet to be reviewed.