by Ben McSweeney
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
True laits are not susceptible to rapid erosion and last for many years. Although laits vary widely in size, the rock formations at the top must be at a certain angle to provide effective shelter. Crem buildup may actually increase the effectiveness of a lait. Laits have good drainage that prevent flooding from storms. Flora and fauna tend to be abundant in laits, due to the protection that they provide. Laits all face in the same direction due to the consistent path of highstorms; Kaladin realizes that this strength will become a weakness in the face of the Everstorm.
Many settlements are built in the protection of large laits, including Kharbranth and Bornwater. Laits are desirable places to live, and sometimes attract wealthy residents. The town where Heb and his family lived in the Starfalls vision is situated in a lait.
Legend holds that Kharbranth's bells were first erected to alert people to the arrival of a highstorm because the city's lait provides such effective shelter. Szeth remarks that people from eastern Roshar engineer their houses to deflect highstorms out of habit, even within a lait.
- The term "lait" is a transliteration, rather than translation, of the Rosharan name for a place where the storms are blocked.
- The Way of Kings interlude I-6 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 54 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 30 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 19 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 3 #
- Oathbringer prologue #
- Words of Radiance chapter 87 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 55 #
- Oathbringer chapter 34 #
- General Reddit 2017
— Arcanum - 2017-06-23#
Big Smooth (talk) 11:40, 3 July 2019 (MST)