|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Appearance and Anatomy
They have long, "banner-like" leaves that only grow on the leeward side of the trunk to avoid being damaged by highstorms. Like several other Rosharan plants, the leaves are retractable and can very rapidly fold up and around the trunk for additional protection. They make an audible whipping sound as they fold.
Stumpweight trees are quite common in Alethkar and are seen growing in the Sadeas princedom. It is likely that they also grow in Jah Keved. They are usually only able to grow in relatively warm areas of Roshar.
Wood from the trunks of stumpweight trees is heavy, durable, and dark in color. It is chopped down as timber and used architecturally to make things like doors. It is also commonly used to make furniture such as chairs and desks. It can be polished and used decoratively.
The sap from stumpweight trees is important in the cultivation of lavis polyps. It is mixed with lavis seeds and spread across the hills during the seasons following the Weeping, when the highstorms are relatively weak.
- The Way of Kings chapter 67 #
- Plants from Shallan's sketchbook
- Words of Radiance chapter 27 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 37 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 63 #
- Oathbringer chapter 114 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 69 #
- Oathbringer chapter 77 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 96 #
- Oathbringer chapter 7 #
- Oathbringer chapter 96 #
- Oathbringer interlude I-7 #
- Oathbringer chapter 72 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 4 #