|Featured In||Mistborn Era 2|
”I'm not part of your little troop of deputies, Wax. Leave me out of this.—Ranette.
She lived in the Roughs but moved to the city some time before Wax did due to the use of electricity in the city, despite disliking Elendel and feeling unsafe there. Her home is located in the Third Octant. It is a red brick house and has two stories.
Appearance & Personality
Ranette is tall, long-legged, and lean, with dark hair which she wears in a shoulder-length ponytail. While Wax, Wayne and Marasi are staying in her house, she wears boots, brown trousers, a white laced shirt and a long Roughs-style leather coat.
Ranette is quick to threaten to shoot people who annoy her -- as well as Wax and particularly Wayne -- but she doesn't shoot anyone she allows inside her home. She keeps a shotgun in a basket next to her front door. Though she excels at gunsmithing, she prefers to keep to herself and doesn't want to be bothered by people. As such, she doesn't sell or patent her inventions. She also hates people sensing her Allomancy and hires Smokers to cover her house. She is also not wealthy enough to use aluminium in her guns. She values guns greatly, willing to forgive Wax and Wayne in exchange for an interesting weapon. Upon losing Vindication, Wax believes that Ranette will be furious with him for it.
Wax, Wayne, and Marasi visit Ranette after Wax's study gets destroyed in an explosion. At first, she tries to chase them away by pointing a shotgun at them but decides to let them in after Wayne offers her the aluminum gun Wax had taken from the Vanishers. Once inside, Ranette starts working on pulling apart the gun and discovers it was made by a gunsmith called Nouxil who she had been corresponding with until his disappearance a year ago. Wax explains Ranette his need of a new gun but she refuses to give him anything. Wax then proceeds to explain how Miles Hundredlives has been trying to kill him and his companions. Ranette has hard time believing Miles would do that, but decides to lend Wax Vindication and hazekiller rounds for field testing after she hears Miles has been taking hostages whose lives are now in danger. She also lets Wax use a room in her house for planning and lends Marasi a rifle and a pair of trousers. 
Dealing with Bleeder
Ranette sends Wax new equipment for testing purposes. The equipment package contains a tether, the first version of a grappling hook invention, she wants him to experiment with while jumping with Allomancy. 
Wax sends Ranette a note via an errand boy asking her to make him a special bullet to take down a kandra named Bleeder. Within hours Ranette arrives to Governor Replar Innate's mansion to deliver the special bullet she made out of Wax's Pathian earring. She hands the bullet over to Wayne who later gives it to Wax. Ranette talks about the current situation of things with Wayne and seems very worried about the people gathering outside which makes Wayne go check things out and Ranette leaves. 
Ranette is returning home after delivering Wax's new cords when she sees Wayne near her new residence where she had moved a few months ago. She notices the notebook Wayne had left at her door and demands him to explain. After Wayne's initial explanation she flips through the notebook and reads the words Wayne had written on the last page. She figures out he is finally giving up on the wish of dating her and moving on. Ranette smiles and thanks him. Wayne tries his luck one more time by asking Ranette about her girlfriend but she firmly rejects him again so he finally leaves. 
Powers & Abilities
Ranette is a Lurcher.
Ranette seems to only use her abilities as a Lurcher for simple convenience (i.e., pulling items out of reach toward her, et cetera) and to use devices of her own creation that only a Lurcher can use.
As a gunsmith, Ranette is highly skilled and is responsible for the creation of numerous guns as well as various other contraptions and innovations. She can competently identify a gun's creator.
- Vindication: A Revolver named after Vin. Made of "Invarian" steel, making it stronger and lighter than a Sterrion, it features a long barrel, a grip styled with ivory and onyx wavy lines separated by metal bands, 8 chambers (two of which utilise Hazekiller rounds), and an "allomancer-only" safety; a hidden switch that only a misting can see or access via an iron pull or a steel push that disables the gun, so the gun can never be turned on a Lurcheror Coinshot owner.
- Sterrion 36: A six-shot revolver, it has a steel frame with no gleam. Wax repeatedly describes his Sterrion pistols as his most accurate guns.
- Experimental Shotgun: A large double-barrelled shotgun given to Wax to field test high gunpowder loads combined with the ability to increase his weight.  The shotgun has enormous kickback that can knock over or injure the person firing it. 
- Hazekiller rounds: bullets that are intended to combat Mistings, primarily for use with Vindication, but certain rounds can be shot with Allomancy. .
- Coinshot rounds with a ceramic tip that keeps travelling after the metal of the bullet has been pushed away.
- Lurcher rounds with ceramic sides that explode when Pulled on, causing shrapnel, said to be harmful but not lethal.
- Tineye rounds that make a loud noise when fired and a different noise when they hit, intended to disable rather than harm.
- Pewterarm rounds that are larger and packed with more gunpowder, intended to overpower the resilience of a Pewterarm.
- Hemalurgic bullet: A bullet made from Wax's hemalurgic earring for use with Vindication. It was used to give Bleeder a second spike so that Harmony could regain control of her. 
- Grappling hook: A portable grappling hook given to Waxillium to field test, allowing the Coinshot to pull himself towards a building he's veering away from. It also serves as a makeshift weapon.
- Cords: The third revision of the grappling hook. The cords are three metal balls wrapped in a cord which uncoils to be used as a rope. An Allomancer can push or pull hidden switches within allowing the hooks to engage and disengage at will.
- Hidden shoe compartment: A hidden compartment for allomantic metals hidden inside a shoe. Allomancer Jak name-drops Ranette when scolding the compartments tendency to come loose. 
”I need you to stick your head in a bucket of water and slowly count to a thousand!—Ranette to Wax when he tries to request her help.
”Fine. But if Wayne touches anything -anything- I'll blow off the offending fingers.—Ranette after letting Wax, Wayne, and Marasi to her workshop.
- The Alloy of Law chapter 14 #
- The Alloy of Law chapter 1 #
- The Alloy of Law chapter 10 #
- The Alloy of Law chapter 15 #
- Shadows of Self chapter 19 #
- The Alloy of Law chapter 18 #
- The Alloy of Law chapter 19 #
- Firefight Miami signing
— Arcanum - 2015-01-08#
- The Bands of Mourning chapter 2 #
- Shadows of Self Portland signing
— Arcanum - 2015-10-10#
- Shadows of Self chapter 7 #
- The Bands of Mourning chapter 4 #
- The Alloy of Law prologue #
- The Bands of Mourning chapter 5 #
- The Bands of Mourning chapter 7 #
- The Alloy of Law chapter 13 #
- Shadows of Self chapter 23 #
- Shadows of Self chapter 25 #
- Shadows of Self chapter 8 #
- Shadows of Self chapter 11 #
- Allomancer Jak
— Brandon's website - 2014-08-07#
|Era 1 books||Mistborn: The Final Empire · The Well of Ascension · The Hero of Ages · (Mistborn: Secret History · The Eleventh Metal)|
|Era 2 books||The Alloy of Law · Shadows of Self · The Bands of Mourning · The Lost Metal · (Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania)|
|Shards||Preservation · Ruin · Harmony|
|History||Classical Scadrial · Final Empire · Catacendre · Elendel · Southern Scadrian|
|Magic||Metallic Arts (Allomancy, Feruchemy, Hemalurgy) · Metalborn · Mistborn · Misting · Savant · Ferring · Twinborn · Compounding · Atium · Lerasium · Ettmetal|
|Other Media||Mistborn Adventure Game · Mistborn: Birthright · Mistborn film · Mistborn: House War|