by Isaac Stewart
|Shards||Honor, Cultivation, Odium|
|Notable Planet(s)||Ashyn, Roshar, Braize|
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
The Rosharan system, also known as Greater Roshar, is the name given to the planetary system containing the Shardworld called Roshar. It comprises thirteen planets, three of which are inhabited, as well as the usual asteroid belt, and three moons for a total of sixteen orbital bodies. Sixteen is an important number in the Cosmere. 
The Greater Roshar system is composed of three tellurian (Earth-like in composition) planets and ten gas giants, divided by the asteroid belt. In order from the sun, the tellurian planets are:
- This is where The Silence Divine is set. While there are humans inhabiting this planet, a global cataclysm at some point in the past has forced most of its inhabitants to flee to Roshar, while the remainder lives in floating cities in the sky. The cataclysm was likely caused by overuse of Surges by Ashynites, and has left the surface highly volcanically active. There is a known manifestation of Investiture on Ashyn, based around Surge-granting diseases, but no known Shard. It is the most likely location of the Tranquiline Halls of Rosharan mythology.
- The second planet is the eponymous Shardworld of Greater Roshar, and the primary setting of the Stormlight Archive. The Shards of Honor and Cultivation can be found here. Roshar features a single supercontinent, also called Roshar, on which its inhabitants live. Three moons, Salas, Nomon, and Mishim, orbit the planet. The majority of Roshar's sentient lifeforms lives on Roshar.
- A cold planet, perhaps outside the habitable zone. While no humans live here, there do exist self-aware Splinters that inhabit either the planet or its Cognitive manifestation. Braize is where the Shard of Odium resides.. In Rosharan mythology, Braize is referred to as Damnation, and is where Rosharan Heralds returned to between Desolations. 
Beyond the asteroid belt are ten gas giants. These outer planets, which are designated by Vorin numerals, are Jes, Nan, Chach, Vev, Palah, Shash, Betab, Kak, Tanat, and Ishi, in order of increasing distance from the sun. The Rosharan gas giants have a minor presence on Shadesmar, which indicates that they are uninhabited. None of these planets have moons or ring systems.
In the greater Cosmere, Rosharan system lies between Taldain, Scadrial, Nalthis and Sel, and is the closest to the latter. It is one of the stars in the "knight" constellation.  In Cognitive Realm, Shadesmar is surrounded by three Expanses, of which the Expanse of the Vapors leads to Scadrial, while the Expanse of the Densities leads to Sel.
Rosharan system is inhabited by a number of sentient species. This includes humans on both Ashyn and Roshar; Singers, Siah Aimians and the Sleepless on Roshar; and a vast number of sentient spren. Braize also contains a large population of Cognitive Shadows of Singers, called the Fused, who migrate to Roshar during Desolations.
After the Shattering, the Shards Honor and Cultivation settled on Roshar, becoming the gods of Singer people. Humans initially settled on Ashyn, but following the destruction of its environment, migrated to Roshar, and were granted the land that comprises modern Shinovar. The Shard Odium arrived on Roshar alongside them, and while the Singers believe it to be the human god, the exact relation is unclear. Honor trapped Odium in the system by unknown means, and the shard settled on Braize. However, when the relationship between humans and Singers deteriorated to the point of war, Odium took the Singers under his wing, creating the first Fused and starting the cycle of Desolations, periodic invasions of Roshar.  During that time, Honor was killed by Odium, but his pact with Odium, along with the Oathpact that governs the Desolations, prevented Odium from leaving the system.
Over the past 4.5 thousand years, the Rosharan system has enjoyed a period of relative stability, although this ended with the start of the True Desolation.
- Q&A at Spokane Barnes & Noble
— 17th Shard forums - 09 August 2013#
- Map of Roshar system
- Words of Radiance Chicago signing
— Arcanum - 2014-03-22#
- Arcanum Unbounded - The Rosharan System #
- Q&A at Spokane B&N
— 17th Shard forums - 2013-08#
- Oathbringer chapter 121 #
- Cosmere constellation map
- Map of shadesmar
- Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing
— Arcanum - 2016-12-06#
- Words of Radiance chapter 66 epigraph #
- Oathbringer chapter 111 #
- Prelude to the Stormlight Archive #
- Oathbringer chapter 57 #
|Shards||Ambition · Autonomy · Cultivation · Devotion · Dominion · Endowment · Honor · Odium · Preservation · Ruin · Survival Shard|
|Planets||Ashyn · Braize · First of the Sun · Nalthis · Obrodai · Roshar · Scadrial · Sel · Taldain · Threnody · Vax · Yolen|
|Terms||Adonalsium · Sliver · Splinter · Realmatic Theory · Investiture · Connection · Identity · Fortune · Intention · Perpendicularity · Spiritweb · Resonance|
|Worldhoppers||Hoid · Khriss · Nazh · Iyatil · Mraize · Vasher · Vivenna · Galladon · Demoux · Baon · Felt · Marsh · Nightblood|
|Other||Seventeenth Shard · Ire · Shattering · Letters · Silverlight|