The Coppermind has spoilers for all of Brandon's published works, now including Tress of the Emerald Sea and The Frugal Wizard's Handbook for Surviving Medieval England (Secret Projects One and Two). Information about books that have not yet been released, like the other secret novels releasing in 2023 and Stormlight 5, is allowed only on meta-pages for the books themselves. For more details, see our spoiler policy. To view an earlier version of the wiki without spoilers for a book, go to the Time Machine!
|Featured In||Mistborn Era 1|
“Khlennium, that great city of wonder. ”
Khlennium was both a city and a kingdom of importance during the classical era on Scadrial. It was a cosmopolitan hub, and eventually came to be ruled by Alendi. Its fate after the Ascension of Rashek was unclear. However, he appropriated elements of Khlenni culture — such as their architecture, fashion and inventions like pocket watches — in building the Final Empire.
During the classical era on Scadrial, Khlennium's location was relatively central — between the isles in the South and the Terris hills in the North, and between the great nations to the east and the fiery empire of the West. The lands of Khlennium are mostly flat without mountains, and look dreary.
As no further record of Khlennium's existence is given during the Final Empire, it is possible that the kingdom lay in what became an uninhabitable area after the Ascension of Rashek since lands too far south of Scadrial's north pole became too hot to live.[note 1]
Khlennium was once a city and kingdom of great importance. It eventually came to be ruled by Alendi, possibly by marrying the previous king's daughter as he was presumed to be the Hero of Ages. During a decade under his leadership, Khlennium united with several nations (including Terris) through both diplomacy and conquest, creating a general force of unity to combat the growing threat of the Deepness.
In an attempt to save Khlennium from the Deepness, Alendi departed on an expedition to the Well of Ascension in Terris. However, he was killed by Rashek before reaching it, who then took the Well's power for himself and subsequently changed the planet.
After his Ascension, Rashek, impersonating Alendi, assumed the throne of Khlennium. It is unclear what happened to the kingdom afterwards.
The city of Khlennium was regarded as one of “wonder”. It was a cultural hub, with people of many nations, including Terris Worldbringers (such as Kwaan).
It had marvelous architecture — magnificent cathedrals, stained glass windows, broad halls. Their architectural and civil engineering prowess allowed them to build grand structures and cities, and among its monuments was the great Khlenni library. They also had technological innovations, such as pocket watches, as well as their own language — their word for the Hero of Ages was Rabzeen.
The Khlenni were viewed as oppressors by the Terris. However, many young Terrismen adopted Khlenni fashion, rather than their furs, while in the cities. Men wore tailored gentlemen’s suits; ladies wore gowns..
The Khlenni government included a council, of which Helenntion was one of its last survivors.
- ↑ a b c d e The Final Empire chapter 16 epigraphSummary:The Final Empire/Epigraphs/Chapter_16#
- ↑ a b c The Hero of Ages chapter 26 epigraphSummary:The Hero of Ages/Epigraphs/Chapter_26#
- ↑ The Final Empire chapter 12 epigraphSummary:The Final Empire/Epigraphs/Chapter_12#
- ↑ a b The Final Empire chapter 3 epigraphSummary:The Final Empire/Epigraphs/Chapter_3#
- ↑ The Hero of Ages chapter 12 epigraphSummary:The Hero of Ages/Epigraphs/Chapter_12#
- ↑ The Hero of Ages Annotations
— Arcanum - 2010-05-04Cite: Arcanum-8042#
- ↑ The Well of Ascension chapter 21 epigraphSummary:The Well of Ascension/Epigraphs/Chapter_21#
- ↑ The Well of Ascension chapter 30 epigraphSummary:The Well of Ascension/Epigraphs/Chapter_30#
- ↑ The Well of Ascension chapter 9 epigraphSummary:The Well of Ascension/Epigraphs/Chapter_9#
- ↑ The Well of Ascension chapter 23 epigraphSummary:The Well of Ascension/Epigraphs/Chapter_23#
- ↑ a b The Final Empire chapter 10 epigraphSummary:The Final Empire/Epigraphs/Chapter_10#
- ↑ The Final Empire chapter 1 epigraphSummary:The Final Empire/Epigraphs/Chapter_1#
- ↑ The Final Empire chapter 5 epigraphSummary:The Final Empire/Epigraphs/Chapter_5#
- ↑ The Final Empire chapter 6 epigraphSummary:The Final Empire/Epigraphs/Chapter_6#
- ↑ The Hero of Ages chapter 9 epigraphSummary:The Hero of Ages/Epigraphs/Chapter_9#
- ↑ /r/books AMA 2015
— Arcanum - 2015-06-23Cite: Arcanum-3502#
- ↑ The Final Empire chapter 15Summary: The Final Empire/Chapter_15#
- ↑ The Final Empire chapter 16Summary: The Final Empire/Chapter_16#
- ↑ a b The Final Empire chapter 19 epigraphSummary:The Final Empire/Epigraphs/Chapter_19#
- ↑ The Final Empire chapter 32Summary: The Final Empire/Chapter_32#
- ↑ The Hero of Ages chapter 28 epigraphSummary:The Hero of Ages/Epigraphs/Chapter_28#
- ↑ The Hero of Ages chapter 29 epigraphSummary:The Hero of Ages/Epigraphs/Chapter_29#
- ↑ The Well of Ascension chapter 12 epigraphSummary:The Well of Ascension/Epigraphs/Chapter_12#
- ↑ The Well of Ascension chapter 53 epigraphSummary:The Well of Ascension/Epigraphs/Chapter_53#
- ↑ a b The Final Empire chapter 32 epigraphSummary:The Final Empire/Epigraphs/Chapter_32#
- ↑ The Well of Ascension chapter 45Summary: The Well of Ascension/Chapter_45#
|Mistborn Era 1|
The Final Empire · The Well of Ascension · The Hero of Ages
|Characters||Vin · Kelsier · Sazed · Elend Venture · Marsh · Spook · Breeze · Ham · Clubs · Dockson · Straff Venture · Zane · Ashweather Cett · Tindwyl · Allrianne Cett · TenSoon · Yomen · Quellion · The Lord Ruler · Alendi · Kwaan|
|Places||Final Empire · The Dominances · Luthadel · Kredik Shaw · Pits of Hathsin · Kandra Homeland · Urteau · Fadrex City · Tathingdwen|
|Ethnicities and Species||Skaa · Nobles · Terrismen · Inquisitors · Koloss · Kandra · Mistwraiths · Southern Scadrians|
|Organizations||Skaa rebellion · Steel Ministry · Keepers (the Synod) · Worldbringers|
|Mythology||The Deepness · Terris Prophecies · Well of Ascension|
|Era 1 books||Mistborn: The Final Empire · The Well of Ascension · The Hero of Ages |
(The Eleventh Metal · Mistborn: Secret History)
|Era 2 books||The Alloy of Law · Shadows of Self · The Bands of Mourning · The Lost Metal |
(Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania)
|Shards||Preservation · Ruin · Harmony|
|History||Classical Scadrial · Final Empire · Catacendre · Elendel · Southern Scadrian|
|Magic||Metallic Arts (Allomancy, Feruchemy, Hemalurgy) · Metalborn · Mistborn · Misting · Savant · Ferring · Twinborn · Compounding · Atium · Lerasium · Harmonium · Trellium|
|Other Media||Mistborn Adventure Game · Mistborn: Birthright · Mistborn film · Mistborn: House War|