Duralumin is the internal enhancement pushing metal. An Allomancer burning duralumin is able to greatly enhance other metals they are burning. Feruchemists can use duralumin to store Connection, and when used as a Hemalurgic spike, duralumin steals Connection and Identity.
A duralumin Misting is known as a Duralumin Gnat. An Allomancer burning duralumin instantly uses up any metals being burned simultaneously, releasing an enormous burst of power from those metals. Duralumin itself is not completely consumed like metals it is burned in concert with, but it still continues to burn away at a steady rate.
The use of duralumin could seriously hurt a Mistborn. While burning tin, the Mistborn could be shocked by the sensory overload as well as become temporarily numb, blind, and deaf. A Push or Pull could become so strong it can feel like the Mistborn is being torn apart.
A duralumin Ferring is known as a Connector. Duralumin is used to store Spiritual Connection. For example, filling a duraluminmind can be used to reduce other people's awareness and friendship of the Connector, as these Spiritual Connections become stored away.
Tapping the metalmind will allow the Connector to form stronger Connections, possibly depending on what Connections was stored. It can allow Connectors to form trust relationships with others much faster, for example.
Duralumin Feruchemy can also change one's Spiritual Connection to a planet, which can help worldhoppers with magic systems. Connectors do not have the inherent ability to worldhop, however. Tapping a duraluminmind on a Shardworld other than Sel would prevent a Connector from using Selish magic.
- Duralumin is a real alloy of aluminum, and is fairly common.
- If Vin hadn't had duralumin in the fight at the Luthadel Assembly meeting both Elend and she would have died.
- An alternative ending to The Well of Ascension has a conversation about duralumin between Vin and Elend.
- The Lord Ruler kept aluminum and it's alloy duralumin from public knowledge to give the Inquisitors an advantage.
- Brandon wrote the Battle of Hathsin's ending to include Elend burning both duralumin and atium because lots of people had asked about the combination.
- Burning duralumin whilst also compounding any other metal does not gain anything other than time, and is quite dangerous due to the swift effects of the duralumin.
- The Well of Ascension chapter 2 #
- The Well of Ascension chapter 5 #
- The Well of Ascension chapter 8 #
- The Well of Ascension chapter 11 #
- The Alloy of Law Ars Arcanum #
- Skyward Houston signing
— Arcanum - 2018-11-19#
- The Bands of Mourning chapter 22 #
- Salt Lake City Comic-Con 2014
— Arcanum - 2014-09-04#
- Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing
— Arcanum - 2016-11-29#
- Hemalurgy Table
- Annotation for The Well of Ascension 5 #
- The Well of Ascension chapter 38 #
- Annotation for The Well of Ascension 38 #
- Mistborn 2 Alternate Ending
— Brandon's website - ?#
- Annotation for The Hero of Ages 74 #
- Annotation for The Hero of Ages 81-3 #
- Arcanum Unbounded Seattle signing
— Arcanum - 2016-12-01#
|The Metallic Arts|
|Arts||Allomancy · Feruchemy · Hemalurgy|
|Concepts||Metalborn · Snapping · Savants · Metalminds · Twinborn · Compounding · Blessings|
|Constructs||Steel Inquisitors · Koloss · Kandra · Chimeras|
|Base Metals||Iron · Steel · Tin · Pewter · Zinc · Brass · Copper · Bronze · Cadmium · Bendalloy · Gold · Electrum · Chromium · Nicrosil · Aluminum · Duralumin|
|God Metals||Atium (Malatium) · Lerasium · Ettmetal · Trellium|
|Era 1 books||Mistborn: The Final Empire · The Well of Ascension · The Hero of Ages · (Mistborn: Secret History · The Eleventh Metal)|
|Era 2 books||The Alloy of Law · Shadows of Self · The Bands of Mourning · The Lost Metal · (Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania)|
|Shards||Preservation · Ruin · Harmony|
|History||Classical Scadrial · Final Empire · Catacendre · Elendel · Southern Scadrian|
|Magic||Metallic Arts (Allomancy, Feruchemy, Hemalurgy) · Metalborn · Mistborn · Misting · Savant · Ferring · Twinborn · Compounding · Atium · Lerasium · Ettmetal|
|Other Media||Mistborn Adventure Game · Mistborn: Birthright · Mistborn film · Mistborn: House War|