The Coppermind has spoilers for all of Brandon's published works, now including Tress of the Emerald Sea and The Frugal Wizard's Handbook for Surviving Medieval England (Secret Projects One and Two). Information about books that have not yet been released, like the other secret novels releasing in 2023 and Stormlight 5, is allowed only on meta-pages for the books themselves. For more details, see our spoiler policy. To view an earlier version of the wiki without spoilers for a book, go to the Time Machine!
|Featured in||Mistborn, The Stormlight Archive|
Zinc is the external mental pulling metal. An Allomancer burning zinc is able to inflame the emotions of those around them. It can be targeted at a single person or a group. A Feruchemist can use zinc to store mental speed. When used as a Hemalurgic spike, zinc steals emotional fortitude.
The paired alloy of zinc used in the Metallic Arts is brass.
A zinc Misting is known as a Rioter. Emotional Allomancy is not mind control, but it does allow the practitioner to influence the emotions of those around them. This is known as Rioting or Raging. The effects can be targeted at a specific individual or group and can focus on specific emotions. It is easier to target a specific direction instead of at a specific individual.
Rioting emotions can be used to increase someone's desire, determination, or anger. It can accomplish many of the same things as Soothing emotions by Rioting all but the specified emotions. Extreme emotions in the target will interfere with emotional Allomancy. Emotional Allomancy can affect animals, however it requires a certain amount of sapience. Emotional Allomancy also has a more compelling effect on Lifeless compared to a regular person. A Rioter cannot Riot themselves.
Very powerful Rioting can put a Hemalurgic creature under complete control of the Rioter, and once controlled, the Rioting is no longer required. This can either be achieved by a solitary Mistborn or Hemalurgist burning duralumin and zinc together, a combination of a Nicroburst and a Rioter, or a group of Rioters and/or Soothers, though in the early days of Final Empire, when Allomancy was much more powerful, a single Rioter was able to do it.
Rioting inside of a speed bubble could give the same effects as burning duralumin, and can still be aimed without the normal hindrances of exiting time bubbles. Aluminum over the victim's head or possibly the Rioter's chest stops Rioting. It can also be stopped by the helmet of a Shardplate.
After the Catacendre, it is unlawful for a business to use Rioters to influence customers. This was one of the provisions of the Allomantic Agreement of '94. However, consensual use of emotional Allomancy is not forbidden, and some rioters, known as zinc counselors uses their abilities as a kind of therapy.
A zinc Ferring is known as a Sparker. Zinc is used to store mental speed. It allows the Sparker to think very quickly and come to conclusions faster. While filling a zincmind, the Sparker will be dull-witted and slow. Storing does not affect the Sparker's ability to take in physical information, but it does increase the time it takes to process that information. For example, a Sparker filling their zincmind will perceive words without delay, but will take longer to parse their meaning. Tapping zinc has the odd side effect of making the user hungry.
When used as a Hemalurgic spike, zinc steals emotional fortitude.
The kandra can use a pair of these spikes as a Blessing and call them the Blessing of Stability. Like all kandra Blessings, the Blessing gives the mistwraiths sentience, with the added benefit of emotional stability.
A fabrial with a zinc cage will increase the strength of the fabrial's function.
Zinctongue is a colloquialism for smooth talkers.
In the Ars Arcanum of The Final Empire, the allomantic roles of brass and zinc were swapped. This was fixed in The Well of Ascension, then repeated in The Hero of Ages.
- ↑ The Final Empire chapter 7Summary: The Final Empire/Chapter_7#
- ↑ The Final Empire chapter 10Summary: The Final Empire/Chapter_10#
- ↑ a b The Alloy of Law Ars ArcanumSummary: The Alloy of Law/Ars Arcanum#
- ↑ The Lost Metal chapter 60Summary: The Lost Metal/Chapter_60#
- ↑ The Hero of Ages Annotations
— Arcanum - 2010-03-30Cite: Arcanum-8025#
- ↑ /r/Mistborn
— Arcanum - 2016-09-08Cite: Arcanum-3950#
- ↑ ICon 2019
— Arcanum - 2019-10-15Cite: Arcanum-13062#
- ↑ The Well of Ascension chapter 46Summary: The Well of Ascension/Chapter_46#
- ↑ The Well of Ascension chapter 54Summary: The Well of Ascension/Chapter_54#
- ↑ The Hero of Ages chapter 3Summary: The Hero of Ages/Chapter_3#
- ↑ The Hero of Ages chapter 21 epigraphSummary:The Hero of Ages/Epigraphs/Chapter_21#
- ↑ Mini-Con 2021
— Arcanum - 2021-11-22Cite: Arcanum-15224#
- ↑ Oathbringer release party
— Arcanum - 2017-11-13Cite: Arcanum-8223#
- ↑ YouTube Spoiler Stream 4
— Arcanum - 2022-06-16Cite: Arcanum-15717#
- ↑ Shadows of Self chapter 14Summary: Shadows of Self/Chapter_14#
- ↑ The Alloy of Law chapter 2Summary: The Alloy of Law/Chapter_2#
- ↑ The Well of Ascension chapter 50Summary: The Well of Ascension/Chapter_50#
- ↑ The Bands of Mourning chapter 3Summary: The Bands of Mourning/Chapter_3#
- ↑ The Hero of Ages Ars ArcanumSummary: The Hero of Ages/Ars Arcanum#
- ↑ a b The Hero of Ages chapter 38 epigraphSummary:The Hero of Ages/Epigraphs/Chapter_38#
- ↑ Rhythm of War chapter 7 epigraphSummary:Rhythm of War/Epigraphs/Chapter_7#
- ↑ Shadows of Self chapter 5Summary: Shadows of Self/Chapter_5#
- ↑ Mistborn: Secret History part 1 chapter 1Summary: Mistborn: Secret History/Part_1/Chapter_1#
|The Metallic Arts|
|Arts||Allomancy · Feruchemy · Hemalurgy|
|Concepts||Metalborn · Snapping · Savants · Metalminds · Twinborn · Compounding · Blessings|
|Constructs||Steel Inquisitors · Koloss · Kandra · Chimeras|
|Base Metals||Iron · Steel · Tin · Pewter · Zinc · Brass · Copper · Bronze · Cadmium · Bendalloy · Gold · Electrum · Chromium · Nicrosil · Aluminum · Duralumin|
|God Metals||Atium (Malatium) · Lerasium · Ettmetal · Trellium|
|Era 1 books||Mistborn: The Final Empire · The Well of Ascension · The Hero of Ages |
(The Eleventh Metal · Mistborn: Secret History)
|Era 2 books||The Alloy of Law · Shadows of Self · The Bands of Mourning · The Lost Metal |
(Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania)
|Shards||Preservation · Ruin · Harmony|
|History||Classical Scadrial · Final Empire · Catacendre · Elendel · Southern Scadrian|
|Magic||Metallic Arts (Allomancy, Feruchemy, Hemalurgy) · Metalborn · Mistborn · Misting · Savant · Ferring · Twinborn · Compounding · Atium · Lerasium · Harmonium · Trellium|
|Other Media||Mistborn Adventure Game · Mistborn: Birthright · Mistborn film · Mistborn: House War|