The Coppermind has spoilers for all of Brandon's published works, now including The Lost Metal and Tress of the Emerald Sea (Secret Project 1). Information about books that have not yet been released, like the other secret novels releasing in 2023 and Stormlight 5, is allowed only on meta-pages for the books themselves. For more details, see our spoiler policy. To view an earlier version of the wiki without spoilers for a book, go to the Time Machine!
|Featured In||The Reckoners|
“I fight because I was a cop, and I took an oath. ”
Cody is a member of the Reckoners on Earth.
Appearance and Personality
He is a wiry man in his early forties. He often wears camouflage. He is from the South, although his family hails from Scotland. He has never been to Scotland, but uses Scottish slang and terminology anyway, despite having a definite Southern accent.
He is fond of making absurd claims about topics such as his own past accomplishments, Scottish culture and history, and the "wee daemons" who allegedly power mobile phones and other technology. The extent to which he believes his own stories is ambiguous, although Prof suspects that he only does it to see how people will react. He also adds other commentaries on the Irish and Australian cultures, but not as often as the Scottish mythology. He incorporates these cultures into corrupted sayings such as "everything went to Wales in a handbasket" and "you can bet your kilt on that."
Attributes and Abilities
Cody does not have one specific role within the Reckoners; he does odd jobs, including welding and scouting. He is good at using the tensors and is an excellent marksman, able to snipe a person at a range of a thousand yards.
Cody was a policeman in Nashville before it was annexed by the Coven. He became a Reckoner and was part of Jonathan Phaedrus' team in Newcago when David Charleston joined the group. He remained behind in Newcago when Prof, Tia, and David traveled to Babilar to face Regalia, but after Prof fell to his powers, he and Abraham joined David's team. They infiltrated Knighthawk Foundry, which subsequently led the group to Ildithia and a confrontation with Prof.
- Sanderson's inspiration for Cody's habit of making up stories about his various ancestral cultures came from a conversation he had with a fan from the Southern United States regarding the correct use of "y'all." This fan told Sanderson that "y'all" is commonly used when addressing only one person, which contradicted what Sanderson had heard previously and led him to wonder if the fan was pulling his leg.
- In the rulebook for the Reckoners board game, Cody's surname is given as Arlington.
- ↑ Calamity chapter 39Summary: Calamity/Chapter_39#
- ↑ a b Steelheart chapter 6Summary: Steelheart/Chapter_6#
- ↑ Calamity release party
— Arcanum - 2016-02-16Cite: Arcanum-7146#
- ↑ Steelheart chapter 5Summary: Steelheart/Chapter_5#
- ↑ a b c d Steelheart chapter 14Summary: Steelheart/Chapter_14#
- ↑ a b Steelheart chapter 34Summary: Steelheart/Chapter_34#
- ↑ Calamity chapter 29Summary: Calamity/Chapter_29#
- ↑ a b c Calamity chapter 30Summary: Calamity/Chapter_30#
- ↑ Firefight chapter 7Summary: Firefight/Chapter_7#
- ↑ Calamity chapter 1Summary: Calamity/Chapter_1#
- ↑ Calamity chapter 12Summary: Calamity/Chapter_12#
- ↑ Firefight San Francisco signing
— Arcanum - 2015-01-17Cite: Arcanum-6830#
Steelheart · (Mitosis) · Firefight · Calamity
|Characters||David Charleston · Megan Tarash · Jonathan Phaedrus|
|Places||Newcago · Babilar · Ildithia|
|Reckoners||Abraham · Cody · Exel · Mizzy · Tia · Valentine · Sam|
|Epics||Calamity · Conflux · Faultline · Firefight · Fortuity · Nightwielder · Obliteration · Regalia · Steelheart · Loophole
Cloudbreaker · Languish · Lifeforce · Lovestruck · Wingflare
|Other||Faithful · Coven · Great Transfersion|