The Shattered Lens
|<The Shattered Lens>|
by Scott Brundage
|Released|| December 2010 (Scholastic),|
July 19, 2016 (Tor)
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians: The Shattered Lens is a middle grade novel by Brandon Sanderson. It is the fourth volume of the five-part series Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians. It was originally published by Scholastic (with the title Alcatraz Versus The Shattered Lens) in December, 2010. After Brandon bought back the rights to the series, it was published by Tor and was released on July 19, 2016.
For the chapter numbers in Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens, Brandon Sanderson decided to change all of the numbers to significant (or funny) numbers. Here is the (known) significance of all the chapter names.
- Explained in-text that Alcatraz was too stoopid to include chapter 1, which Alcatraz says is a shame because it has all the stuff that would make the book non-confusing.
- Explained in-text that Alcatraz skipped chapters 3, 4, & 5 because they were so boring.
- Also known as 3.14159265. Fairly close to what the chapter number should actually be.
- 4 1/2
- Again, fairly close to what the chapter number should be.
- The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- 12*12, also known as a Gross. Furthermore, it is a multiple of 6, and this is the sixth chapter.
- Act V, Scene III
- This chapter is the one where (almost) all the dialogue is pulled from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act V Scene III, and it is the last scene in Hamlet, the one where most of the characters die. It is fitting because this is a battle chapter.
- Lots of "A"'s at the beginning of the chapter. Also, if the "+" is thought of as the letter "t", the sound of saying the name of the letter "A" followed by the sound of the letter "t" results in saying "eight." This is unlikely a coincidence since this is the eighth chapter.
- This is a German joke, as the German word for "No" is "Nein".
- 1010 is 10 in binary, which matches up with the fact that it is the 10th chapter.
- Jean Valjean's (the main character's) prison number from Les Miserables.
- July 7th, 2006, the day Brandon was married.
- 6.02214179 x 10^23
- Avogadro's number, a constant dealing with the number of atoms or molecules in a substance.
- Four Teens and a Pickle
- "Four Teens" is a play on "fourteen," the actual number of the chapter
- The phone number from the hit 80's song 867-5309/Jenny.
- A very significant number in Brandon's cosmere books, having to do with Adonalsium.
- Or, more completely, USS Enterprise NCC-1701, the name of the ship in the original Star Trek series.
- 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 is the sequence of numbers that appeared in the television show Lost.
- Brandon probably lost count of the chapters, or just couldn't think of anything at this point.
- ∞ + 1
- Infinity plus 1 is still infinity.
Cover Art Gallery
| Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians|
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians · The Scrivener's Bones · The Knights of Crystallia · The Shattered Lens · The Dark Talent
|Characters||Alcatraz Smedry · Bastille · Leavenworth Smedry · Shasta Smedry · Attica Smedry|
|Magic||Silimatics · Oculators · Talents · Alivened · Crystin|