by Hayley Lazo
|Abilities||Crystin Knight, princess of Nalhalla|
|Featured In||Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians|
”Someone gave me a pink dress once. I burned it.—Bastille
Appearance and Personality
Bastille is short-tempered and rather prone to violence. She tends to act as the voice of reason because she spends most of her time surrounded by reckless Smedrys, but she has her fair share of impulsivity and is extremely brave. She is also a bit insecure because of her parents' high standards and often doubts her own worth as a Crystin, though she projects an aura of confidence. She dislikes sharing personal information.
Attributes and Abilities
As a Knight of Crystallia, Bastille has a fleshstone which grants her enhanced physical abilities and connects her to the other Crystin. She is trained to fight with a sword and dagger. She can use Warrior's Lenses, and has extensive knowledge of Oculatory Lenses.
When she was young, Bastille wanted to be an Oculator and studied different types of Lenses. She eventually accepted that she could not be an Oculator and began training to be a Crystin like her mother. She excelled in her training and completed it a at young age.
Upon returning to Nalhalla, Bastille was summoned to a hearing to determine whether or not she would retain her knighthood. After the intervention of Alcatraz and Leavenworth, her knighthood was suspended and she was severed from the Crystin Mindstone. This allowed her to defeat Archedis, and she regained the title of knight.
At the end of Alcatraz's fifth book, she wrote a note promising to finish the story. The note was signed "Bastille Smedry," indicating she and Alcatraz may have gotten married. This is further corroborated by Alcatraz's noting across the series that she's looking over his shoulder as he writes.
- Her name is a reference to the Bastille Saint-Antoine fortress in France being used as a prison.
- Bastille's Letter from The Dark Talent#
- The Knights of Crystallia chapter 22#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 5#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 4#
- The Scrivener's Bones chapter 2#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 9#
- The Knights of Crystallia chapter 4#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 12#
- The Knights of Crystallia chapter Royal Epilogue (Not a Chapter)#
- The Shattered Lens chapter 16#
- The Dark Talent chapter 20#
- Alcatraz Annotations
— Arcanum - 2012-03-20#