The Coppermind has spoilers for all of Brandon's published works. Information about books that have not yet been released, like the secret novels releasing in 2023 and Stormlight 5, is allowed only on very specific pages. For more details, see our spoiler policy. To view an earlier version of the wiki without spoilers for a book, go to the Time Machine!
by Hayley Lazo
|Related to||Smedry Talent|
|Featured In||Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (series)|
An Oculator is someone that can activate and control an Oculatory Lens.
The Smedry family is one of the most renowned groups of Oculators. Oculatory powers are primarily hereditary, though they can be inherited either through the bloodline or through marriage. There are two known exceptions to this hereditary limitation: Warrior's Lenses and Blood-Forged Lenses can be used by anyone.
Lenses are only usable by Oculators, unless they are forged in the blood of an Oculator, such as the ones used by the Scrivener's Bones. Dark Oculators sometimes use a monocle instead of the classic glasses shape, in order to focus the lens' power. Powerful oculators can use different lenses in each eye, and exceptionally skilled oculators can push power through multiple sets of lenses, up to 7 or 8, causing them to hover in front of one another. The oculator can choose between using all of them at once, or firing off alternating blasts of power.
- Bestower's Lenses
- Bestower's Lenses allow you to temporarily give someone an attribute of yours, such as strength, feelings, hunger, injuries, talents, Smedry Talents, etc. They are tinted green and purple.
- Concussor's Lenses
- Concussor's Lens shoot a beam of light which, when it smashes into a target, will knock them back and render them unconscious for a few hours. This lens is used by Attica Smedry in his infiltration of the Highbrary. Their tint is currently unknown.
- Courier's Lenses
- Courier's Lenses allow short-range communication between two Oculators when both of them are wearing them; however, Alcatraz managed to extend that range by pushing more power into the Lenses. The user mentally hears the voice of the other Oculator and sees a hologram of their upper body. They are generally tinted baby blue.
- Discerner's Lenses
- Discerner's Lenses tell the wearer the age of an object. It makes the object glow, the duller glow the older the object is. Their tint is unknown.
- Disguiser's Lenses
- Disguisers Lenses allow the wearer to look like anything they want, but the lenses are visible within the disguise. They are tinted lavender.
- Educator's Lenses
- Educator's Lenses when worn, slow down time for the wearer. Their tint is unknown.
- Firebringer's Lenses
- Firebringer's Lenses when switched on, which only takes a small amount of concentration or power, these powerful lenses gather the light around them and shoot it out in concentrated beams. They are clear with a dot of red at the center of each lens.
- Frostbringer's Lenses
- Frostbringer's Lenses are essentially the opposite of the Firebringers Lens. They can direct a beam of frost at the target. This Lens is used by the Scrivener Bones.
- Harrier's Lenses
- Harrier's Lenses magnify the pain of someone you focus on. Their tint is unknown.
- Oculator's Lenses
- Oculator's Lenses allow Oculators to see and sense Oculations and, more generally, show you things that you need to see. They can also be used to counter another Oculators' attack. They have a red or pink tint.
- Oracle's Lenses
- Oracle's Lenses allow the user to glimpse into the future. Attica Smedry used them to foresee where Alcatraz would be living on his 13th birthday. Their tint is unknown.
- Shamefiller's Lenses
- Shamefiller's Lenses can make any object, living or non-living, so embarrassed that they explode. The user hears the embarrassing thoughts of the target in their mind before the explosion. They are considered to be crude, but very effective. They are at least somewhat rare. They are tinted a deep maroon.
- Shaper's Lenses
- Shaper's Lenses allow the occulator see a person's heart, soul, and innermost desires.. These unpredictable lenses can give an Occulator great power over others, and they are considered very dangerous. They are tinted with silver white flakes that look like the stars of a galaxy.
- Shatterer's Lenses
- Shatterer's Lenses can break other kinds of glass if the Oculator looks at it through these. Their tint is unknown.
- Shocker's Lenses
- Shocker's Lenses emit a beam of light that knocks anyone looking at the user unconscious. They are very difficult to use.
- Tracker's Lenses
- Tracker's Lenses are some of the easiest Lenses to use. They allow the user to track the footprints of other people. Everyone has a unique footprint, and the longer the user knows a person, the longer their footprints stay visible. Family, however, is who one knows best, so their footprints stay a very long time, no matter how little the user thinks they know them. They are tinted yellow.
- Translator's Lenses (Lenses of Rashid)
- Translator's Lenses are forged from the Sands of Rashid, which are incredibly rare. They are also known as the Lenses of Rashid. They let the wearer understand, read, and write in any language, code, or alphabet, including Quentin Smedry's nonsense. Their tint is unknown.
- Traveler's Lenses
- Traveler's Lenses push the occulator from one point to another, avoiding obstructions in between. Their tint is unknown.
- Transcriber's Lenses
- Transcriber's Lenses are similar to Courier's Lenses, but they work with written communication instead of spoken communication.
- Truthfinder's Lenses
- Truthfinder's Lenses are Even rarer than Translator's Lenses. These Lenses allow the wearer to discern truth from lies. When a person is telling the truth, their breath is seen as white fog. When they are lying, bugs or black critters spew from their mouth. The only known example of this lens belongs to Alcatraz and used to belong to Allekatrase the First. They have no tint.
- Torturer's Lenses
- Torturer's Lenses cause intense agony in the target and make their muscles begin to rip. Five seconds of use causes the target permanent harm. They are tinted green and black.
- Warrior's Lenses
- Warrior's Lenses enhance the wearer's physical abilities. This is one of the only lenses that a non-Oculator can use. They are tinted dark grey or black.
- Windstormer's Lenses
- Windstormer's Lenses create gusts of wind that blow away from the Oculator. Leavenworth uses them to create a bubble of calm winds around the wielder, but this is extremely difficult. They are tinted green.
- Voidstormer's Lenses
- Voidstormer's Lenses are the opposite of the Windstormer's Lenses and they suck things towards the user instead of blowing them away.
- Unknown Lenses
- Fitzroy is seen wearing a pair of green and orange striped glasses when upon entering the Royal Archives (not a library).
- A pair of Lenses heightens Leavenworth Smedry's awareness of enemy locations. These may be Oculator's Lenses, but it is unclear.
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 3#
- The Dark Talent chapter Trillian#
- The Dark Talent chapter Bob#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 21#
- The Scrivener's Bones chapter 2#
- The Scrivener's Bones chapter 1#
- The Scrivener's Bones chapter 8#
- The Shattered Lens chapter four teens and a pickle#
- Skyward Pre-Release AMA
— Arcanum - 2018-10-22#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 20#
- The Dark Talent chapter mary#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 11#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 4#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 2#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 19#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 12#
- Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 13#