The Coppermind has spoilers for all of Brandon's published works, now including Tress of the Emerald Sea and The Frugal Wizard's Handbook for Surviving Medieval England (Secret Projects One and Two). Information about books that have not yet been released, like the other secret novels releasing in 2023 and Stormlight 5, is allowed only on meta-pages for the books themselves. For more details, see our spoiler policy. To view an earlier version of the wiki without spoilers for a book, go to the Time Machine!
|Featured In||Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians|
Quentin Smedry is member of House Smedry who, like Grandpa Smedry, comes from the Free Kingdom of Nalhalla. As the son of Pattywagon Smedry, Leavenworth's daughter and Attica's sister, Quentin is one of Alcatraz Smedry's cousins.
Quentin looks to be about 30 years old, has dark brown hair, pale hair, and freckles. Alcatraz considers him to be short and wiry during their first encounter.
Quentin's Talent is to say things that make no sense whatsoever. The talent manifests itself several times during the Downtown Library infiltration from Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians, where Quentin sometimes makes seemingly nonsensical remarks. In addition to making occasional gibberish comments, Quentin is also able to intentionally engage his Talent, causing him to speak in gibberish for 24 hours.
Like most Smedry Talents, Quentin's is more powerful than it appears on the surface. Not only is the gibberish he says understandable with Translator's Lenses., it also appears to carry the power of prophecy. When Quentin responds to a question by Grandpa Smedry with "Cantaloupe, fluttering paper makes a duck", he - unbeknownst even to himself - is foreshadowing the attack of the Alivened later that day; Alivened, made of fluttering paper, bursting through a wall marked with a cantaloupe-shaped lantern, that cause Sing to trip and Alcatraz and Bastille to duck after him. In another instance, Quentin's Talent prompts him to speaks the words "Rutabaga, fire over the inheritance!" This ends up foreshadowing the confrontation against Blackburn - confrontation over Alcatraz's inheritance, taking place near a rutabaga-shaped lamp, and involving a Firebringer's Lens.
Folsom Smedry is Quentin's brother.
Quentin's cousins include Alcatraz Smedry and Sing Sing Smedry. His grandfather is Leavenworth Smedry
“Cantaloupe, fluttering paper makes a duck. ”—Quentin Smedry, responding to a question by Grandpa Smedry
“Rutabaga, fire over the inheritance! ”—Quentin Smedry, his Talent activating as he is waving goodbye
“Turtlenecks look good when the trees have no ears. ”—Quentin Smedry, after intentionally engaging his Talent
“Wasing not of wasing is. ”—Quentin Smedry
- His name is a reference to the San Quentin State Prison.
- He is also able to access the past, saying "wasing not of wasing is" in a nod to Spook's having existed in the Alcatraz universe.
- ↑ a b c Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 4Summary: Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians/Chapter_4#
- ↑ Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 19Summary: Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians/Chapter_19#
- ↑ a b Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 6Summary: Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians/Chapter_6#
- ↑ Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 14Summary: Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians/Chapter_14#
- ↑ a b Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 7Summary: Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians/Chapter_7#
- ↑ a b Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians chapter 16Summary: Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians/Chapter_16#
- ↑ Alcatraz Annotations
— Arcanum - 2012-03-20Cite: Arcanum-13678#
- ↑ White Sand vol.1 Orem signing
— Arcanum - 2016-06-29Cite: Arcanum-4551#