The Hero of Ages
|<The Hero of Ages>|
by Chris McGrath
|Released||October 14, 2008|
At the end of the previous book, Vin released the power in the Well of Ascension in order to achieve what she believed was protecting the world, at the expense of losing Elend Venture, her husband. It is revealed that Vin was tricked into releasing the power at the Well, rather than using it, and unleashed Ruin who had been imprisoned there. Before Vin killed the Lord Ruler he warned her she was dooming the world and Vin now realises the Terris prophecies were falsified. An apparition helped her locate a bead of Lerasium - the condensed form of Preservation - in the Well's chamber, turning Elend into a Mistborn when he ate it and subsequently, with the ability to burn pewter, saved his life.
As the world begins to succumb to Ruin's influence earthquakes shake the land in ever greater frequencies, the ash falls from the sky constantly and Inquisitors and koloss, no longer controlled by the Lord Ruler, rampage across the world. The mists are appearing in daylight now and even worse, killing those foolish enough to venture out into it. Elend holds a tenuous grip as Emperor as he and Vin search for the storage caches and Atium stash the Lord Ruler hid in the event Ruin was freed.
Sazed continues to struggle with his faith, trying and failing to find a religion that makes sense, while he, along with Breeze, try to help Elend take over the rebel city of Urteau. Sent as a spy, Spook attempts to uproot the Urteau rebellion and incidently gains strange abilities. He is referred to as the "Survivor of the Flames" for his near miraculous actions followed by his involvement in the rebellion in Urteau.
TenSoon returns to the kandra homeland in the hopes to convince his kind to work with the humans to fight Ruin. Instead he is called a liar, imprisoned for his numerous crimes and stripped of his bones to be placed in a pit as punishment. Later in the book, TenSoon is called for sentence where they give him a set of dog bones he had kept, imagining this would be degrading to TenSoon. Instead, TenSoon uses the agility of the bones and his experience with them to dodge his captors and escape from the homeworld.
Vin and Elend attempt to conquer Fadrex City and its rebel king, Aradan Yomen. Along the way they discover patterns to the mist killings and the secrets of Hemalurgy. Fearing to discuss their plans openly in case Ruin could overhear, Vin is captured by Yomen when she attempts a solo mission to get into the storage cache and find the Atium stash. Yomen uses her as ransom while Elend's koloss army succumbs to the will of Ruin. Turning against him, Elend and his human army are granted sanctity inside the walls of Fadrex City. Meanwhile, Vin escapes and heads towards Luthadel where she confronts the last of the Inquisitors.
In the ensuing battle, Vin's earring is torn out of her ear, finally allowing her to absorb the power of the mists. In a devastating show of power, Vin levels most of the city and kills the Inquisitors, but is vaporized herself to take up the Shard Preservation and attempted to right the world but failed in almost the same way as Rashek.
With the knowledge of the Atium stashes location, Elend sets out for the kandra homeworld. On his journey he is left wondering why so many people had gotten sick longer than others when they had been exposed to the mists. Upon arriving at the kandra homeworld he discovers the Atium in the Trustwarren and comes to the realisation that those sick for longer had become Atium Mistings. Using this powerful force they meet the approaching koloss army on the fields outside the homeworld. Fighting until their Atium is used up, Elend confronts a Ruin controlled Marsh.
Watching the fight between Elend and Marsh fueling the former with mist-power, Vin witnesses her husband die and with nothing left to lose, she hurls herself at the form of Ruin, destroying them both and leaving Sazed to pick up the two Shards. As the new shard of Harmony he sets out to work on righting the world through trial and error. As Scadrial is now safe, Sazed, as Harmony, leaves Spook a note, explaining how Elend and Vin are happy together and he makes Spook a Mistborn.
- A fully fledged Mistborn who was thought to be the Hero of Ages until recently. She is the wife of Elend Venture and a very powerful Allomancer. She is also a Sliver of Preservation later in the book.
- The Emperor of the Central and Northern Dominances after The Lord Ruler's fall. He is the husband of Vin, and a powerful Allomancer after ingesting a bead of Lerasium at the Well of Ascension.
- A Terrisman who is also a Keeper that specialises in religion. He has currently lost faith in religion after the death of Tindwyl.
- A kandra of the Third Generation, contracted to Vin after his original master, Zane, was killed by her. TenSoon returns to his homeland only to be imprisoned there and to later escape. He encountered Sazed and takes him back to the kandra homeland.
- A Tineye Savant working as a spy in Urteau. He inadvertantly gains the title of "Surivior of the Flames" and instigates a rebellion against the government of Urteau. He is made into a Mistborn by Sazed.
- Kelsier's brother turned Inquisitor. He is forced to do Ruin's will although still retaining all his mental faculties. He eventually kills Elend at the command of Ruin.
- Once a member of Kelsier's band he now serves as a General in Emperor Elend's army.
- A nobleman masquerading as a skaa, Breeze established his own noble house after Elend became Emperor. It is assumed that Waxillium Ladrian is his descendant.
- Aradan Yomen
- Lord and king of Fadrex City. He is Elend's biggest rival and even manages to capture Vin for a short while.
- Ashweather Cett
- Advisor to Emperor Elend Venture.
- A koloss that talks to Vin and reveals the origins of his species.
- Also known as the Citizen. A man who took over control of Urteau after The Lord Ruler's demise.
Hero of Ages is the final book in the first trilogy of what Brandon Sanderson calls a "trilogy of trilogies." While The Alloy of Law is set on Scadrial it is a stand-alone short novel and is not the start of the second trilogy. However, Sanderson announced on August 1, 2012 that he would be writing a direct sequel to Alloy of Law, but this would still not be considered the second Mistborn trilogy, despite Alloy of Law no longer being a stand-alone novel. In the State of the Sanderson 2014, Brandon announced that there would be 3 novels after The Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, The Bands of Mourning, and, tentatively, The Lost Metal. There will be two other trilogies, one set in a world technologically similar to ours and a space opera.
- Another Long and Rambling Post on Future Books
— Brandon's website - Oct 12, 2010
- Today I got up and I did not have a Wheel of Time book to work on
— Brandon's website - Aug 1, 2012
- State of the Sanderson: December 2014
— Brandon's website - Dec 18, 2014
| Mistborn Era 1|
The Final Empire · The Well of Ascension · The Hero of Ages
|Characters||Vin · Kelsier · Sazed · Elend Venture · Marsh · Spook · Breeze · Ham · Clubs · Dockson · Straff Venture · Zane · Ashweather Cett · Tindwyl · Allrianne Cett · TenSoon · Yomen · Quellion · The Lord Ruler · Alendi · Kwaan|
|Places||Final Empire · The Dominances · Luthadel · Kredik Shaw · Pits of Hathsin · Kandra Homeland · Urteau · Fadrex City · Tathingdwen|
|Ethnicities and Species||Skaa · Nobles · Terrismen · Inquisitors · Koloss · Kandra · Mistwraiths · Southern Scadrians|
|Organizations||Skaa rebellion · Steel Ministry · Keepers (the Synod) · Worldbringers · Noble Houses|
|Mythology||The Deepness · Terris Prophecies · Well of Ascension · Hero of Ages|
|Era 1 books||Mistborn: The Final Empire · The Well of Ascension · The Hero of Ages · (Mistborn: Secret History · The Eleventh Metal)|
|Era 2 books||The Alloy of Law · Shadows of Self · The Bands of Mourning · The Lost Metal · (Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania)|
|Shards||Preservation · Ruin · Harmony|
|History||Classical Scadrial · Final Empire · Catacendre · Elendel · Southern Scadrian|
|Magic||Metallic Arts (Allomancy, Feruchemy, Hemalurgy) · Metalborn · Mistborn · Misting · Savant · Ferring · Twinborn · Compounding · Atium · Lerasium|
|Other Media||Mistborn Adventure Game · Mistborn: Birthright · Mistborn film · Mistborn: House War|