Behind the Scenes
Brandon wrote a few "exploratory scenes" for Stormlight 3 during the summer of 2014, however he didn't start in earnest on the book until June 2015.
The original outline called for the flashback sequence to focus on Szeth-son-son-Vallano, however Brandon later changed his mind. He planned on writing parts of the flashbacks for Szeth as well as Eshonai and Dalinar Kholin, to help him decide who can best get across the information he needs to.. After working on Dalinar's flashbacks however was pleased enough with how they were going that he decided not to go forward with the other two sequences.[Citation needed] In late September 2016 he indicated that he would be spending part of October writing Szeth's flashback sequence, in order to solidify certain backstory pieces relevant to other scenes he was writing, and that there was a real but unlikely chance that he would change the book back to focus on Szeth.[Citation needed]
On July 16, 2015 Brandon announced that he had finished Dalinar's flashback chapters. There are 15 in total, with a sum word count of around 55,000 words.. On July 22, 2016 Brandon announced that there would also be several flashback scenes from other characters, including 3 from Kaladin. On December 8, 2016 Brandon announced that he had finished his first draft, totaling 461,223 words.
While working on the novel Brandon posted a series of updates in the Stormlight Archive subreddit:
The original tentative title, when Szeth was still the focus character, was "Stones Unhallowed". Like all planned titles for The Stormlight Archive this would have been the title of an in-world book, likely in dealing with Urithiru which Ali-daughter-Hasweth mentions was at times the Shin's only connection to the outside world due to its "stones unhallowed". "Skybreakers" was also mentioned by Brandon as a working title, as Brandon felt "Stones Unhallowed" would possibly be too similar to Patrick Rothfuss' "Doors of Stone" if they were released in close proximity.[Citation needed]
"The Highprince of War" was the working title for the fifth book in The Stormlight Archive, which is where Dalinar's flashbacks were originally scheduled to appear. In February 2013 though, Brandon said it was "almost certain" to change. During the process of writing Stormlight 3, especially after shifting the focus to Dalinar, Brandon began referring to it as "Oathbringer".
- The first Kaladin chapter was Brandon's reading during the Summer 2014 UK tour.[Citation needed] It was later released on Tor.com on September 30, 2014.
- The first Dalinar flashback chapter was Brandon's reading during the Shadows of Self tour. It was later released on Tor.com on October 23, 2015.
- The first four Dalinar flashback chapters were released on December 6, 2016 in the Unfettered II anthology, edited by Shawn Speakman.
- Will the book will come out before fall 2017?
— reddit.com - Jun 6th, 2016
- State of the Sanderson: December 2014
— Brandon's website - Dec 18th, 2014
- The Flashbacks are done!
— Twitter - Jul 16th, 2015
- Stormlight 3 First Draft is Done!
— Twitter - Dec 8th, 2016
- Words of Radiance chapter 47
- Title for Dalinar-centric book
— Theoryland - Nov 8th, 2011
- Words of Radiance press release
— Tor.com - Feb 28th, 2013
- Tor.com release of first Stormlight 3 Kaladin chapter.
— Tor.com - Sep 30th, 2014
- Tor.com release of first Dalinar flashback chapter
— Tor.com - Oct 23rd, 2015
- Brandon comments on his submission to Unfettered II.
— Reddit - Oct 4, 2016