by Ben McSweeney
|Abilities||Feruchemist, Allomancer, Sliver|
|Titles||Lord Ruler, Sliver of Infinity, the Father|
|Featured In||Mistborn: The Final Empire|
”I did not make a mistake. I have never made a mistake. However, it is time for a change.
Rashek is a Terrisman from Scadrial. Known as the Lord Ruler, the Sliver of Infinity and the Father, he has access to the full range of abilities of both a Feruchemist and an Allomancer. As a result, he is an extremely powerful Compounder, and he was able to unify the world into an empire that lasted for one thousand years.
Appearance and Personality
Rashek is incredibly tall and handsome. He has pale skin and has black hair. He wears black and white clothing that resembles an exaggerated nobleman's suit, with a coat that runs down to his feet and trails behind him and a black vest accented with white markings. He also wears several rings, both as show of his strength and as Feruchemical storage.
He is charismatic.
Rashek keeps a room full of relics of his life in Terris inside Kredik Shaw. Among the relics is a small wooden flute.
Prior to his Ascension, he disliked the people of Khlennium, and was hostile and angry towards them, despite never having been to the state, because of their oppression of the Terris people. Though he hated them, he also envied several aspects of their culture, later incorporating them into the culture of the Final Empire.
Rashek was part of a growing number of young Terris who had more violent attitudes than was seen as typical of their people. They believed that their Feruchemy should have been put to greater use than it was as a tool for simple labour. Alendi believed Rashek and his fellows to be dangerous, given the opportunity.
Rashek believed that Alendi was not the true Hero of Ages, and was resentful of him. He thought that an outsider -- someone not pure Terris, as well as an oppressor of Terris -- could not be the Hero, and that Alendi had tricked the Terris philosophers. He led Alendi to the Well of Ascension and killed him, under instructions from his uncle, Kwaan. He was ignored by Ruin up until the moment he murdered Alendi. He then took and used the power of Preservation, ascending to become the Lord Ruler.
As he was using the power of the Well, he changed many aspects of life on Scadrial.
- He moved the planet closer to its star in order to burn the mist away.
- As a result of the new orbit, he added a number of active volcanoes to the planet, which allowed him to cool the world down a bit.
- The new climate of the planet needed drastically different plants to be created.
- He created or changed microbes to break down the ash as part of their metabolic functions.
- He altered mankind so that they would survive the continuous ashfall.
- He transformed all living Feruchemists into mistwraiths, creating the first of the species.
- He changed his most favoured allies to be taller, stronger, more intelligent and less fertile to create the nobles.
- He changed his enemies into the skaa, making them shorter, hardier, and more fertile.
- He converted all the Terris Worldbringers to kandra.
- He flattened the original Terris homeland, where the Well of Ascension was and built Kredik Shaw on top of it .
- He raised mountains in the North and named the location Terris.
- He rebuilt himself into an extrememly powerful mistborn.
- He became functionally immortal, compounding both gold and atium.
- He gained knowledge of all three Metallic Arts on Scadrial, allowing him to develop the three hemalurgic constructs that existed in the Final Empire.
The Final Empire
He formed the Final Empire, partly as a means of revenge against the people he viewed as encroaching on Terris land, and conquered the whole of the world. He was obsessed with order, and he subjugated all but ten foreign kings, who he made Mistborn and allowed them to rule over the masses. He made use of both Allomantic and Feruchemical powers in order to Compound to keep himself alive, and even had Hemalurgic piercings to produce some of his most dramatic powers. The Lord Ruler was also called Sliver of Infinity by the people of the Final Empire.
The Lord Ruler said his empire lasted a thousand years. More specifically, it had lasted 1024 years. 
Vin kills him using the power of the mists, after he removed her Hemalurgic earring; allowing her to access Preservation's power and use her new found strength to remove his atium bracers. His death leads to the Collapse, and the end of the skaa rebellion.
”He suffered much beneath Ruin's hand, but he was a good man, who ultimately had honorable intentions.
”Let the executions begin.
”My lord, look outside your window! Do we not have better things to discuss? The entire city is in rebellion! Skaa torches light up the night, and they dare go out into the mists. They blaspheme in riots, attacking the keeps of the nobility!
”God cannot be killed. God cannot be overthrown. Your rebellion—you think I haven't seen its like before? You think I haven't destroyed entire armies on my own? What will it take before you people stop questioning? How many centuries must I prove myself before you idiot skaa see the truth? How many of you must I kill!— The Lord Ruler
”You don't know what I do for mankind. I was your god, even if you couldn't see it. By killing me, you have doomed yourselves...— The Lord Ruler's final words
He didn't destroy Alendi's logbook because Ruin manipulated his nostalgia in order to keep the book around.
His arm bracers are Hemalurgic spikes.
Although it wasn't necessary for the process of atium compounding, Rashek intentionally stayed aged at times in spite of that fact.
- The Final Empire chapter 36
- The Final Empire chapter 34
- Across a thousand years he tried pretty much everything. He was most fond of music.
— Reddit - 7 july 2015
- The Well of Ascension chapter 46
- The Final Empire chapter 7 epigraph
- The Well of Ascension chapter 50 epigraph
- The Final Empire chapter 32 epigraph
- The Hero of Ages chapter 26 epigraph
- The Final Empire chapter 11 epigraph
- The Final Empire chapter 21 epigraph
- The Final Empire chapter 27 epigraph
- (...) Alendi was under Ruin's influence. He ignored Rashek, though.
— Theoryland - Oct, 2008
- He did not use the bead. In all of this he granted himself basically, he rebuilt himself to be extremely powerful and he did not use one of the beads.
— Theoryland - Sep 24th, 2013
- Part of the Lord Ruler's motivation for setting up The Final Empire was revenge
— Theoryland - Nov 8th, 2011
- Annotation for The Hero of Ages Chapter 62-2
- He used Hemalurgy to pull off his most dramatic effects
— Theoryland - 2008-10-16
- The Final Empire chapter 4
- The Final Empire chapter 8
- The Final Empire chapter 10
- Why did the Well of Ascension refill every thousand years rather than 500 or 200, etc.?
— Theoryland - 2010-05
- Did the Lord Ruler have children?
— Reddit - 29 may 2015
- Did the Lord Ruler's children have something to do with the Lord Ruler's plot to once "give up" in the Final Empire?
— Reddit - 6 june 2015
- The Hero of Ages epilogue
- The Final Empire chapter 38
- Did The Lord Ruler know about Worldhopping?
— Theoryland - August 8th, 2014
- post with animated gif
— pmendicant's tumblr - 2015-03-21
- What order would he fit in best?
— Theoryland - 2014-8-20
- First, Ruin had his fingers in the Lord Ruler’s soul by then already. Subtle things are easier to influence. He played off the Lord Ruler’s natural nostalgia and desire to hold onto something so important to his past.
— Theoryland - Jul, 2009
- His arm bracers, which pierced his skin, were his spikes.
— Theoryland - Oct, 2008
- He didn't really have to, but he let himself.
— Theoryland - Feb 20th, 2013
|Mistborn Era 1|
|Characters||Vin · Kelsier · Sazed · Elend Venture · Marsh · Spook · Breeze · Ham · Clubs · Straff Venture · Zane · Ashweather Cett · Tindwyl · Allrianne Cett · TenSoon · Yomen · Quellion · The Lord Ruler · Alendi · Kwaan|
|Places||Final Empire · The Dominances · Luthadel · Kredik Shaw · Pits of Hathsin · Kandra Homeland · Urteau · Fadrex City · Tathingdwen|
|Ethnicities and Species||Skaa · Nobles · Terrismen · Inquisitors · Koloss · Kandra · Mistwraiths · Southern Peoples of Scadrial|
|Organizations||Skaa rebellion · Steel Ministry · Keepers (the Synod) · Worldbringers · Noble Houses|
|Mythology||The Deepness · Terris Prophecies · Well of Ascension · Hero of Ages|
|Books|| Era 1 (Mistborn: The Final Empire · The Well of Ascension · The Hero of Ages)|
Era 2 (The Alloy of Law · Shadows of Self · Bands of Mourning · The Lost Metal)
|Shards||Preservation · Ruin · Harmony*|
|Magic||Metallic Arts (Allomancy, Feruchemy, Hemalurgy) · Metalborn · Mistborn · Misting · Savant · Ferring · Twinborn · Compounding · Atium · Lerasium|
|Other Media||Mistborn Adventure Game · The Eleventh Metal · A House of Ashes · Mistborn: Birthright · Mistborn film · Final Empire (board game)|