A Sliver is a human intelligence who has held all or a very large portion of the power of a Shard and has since released it. There is a certain threshold of power where one would be considered a Sliver of Adonalsium. Every person on Scadrial has a bit of the power of Preservation, but they are not technically Slivers. Though there is some grey area in what it means to be a Sliver, individuals who have directly held the power of a Shard are usually termed Slivers. Elend, who became a full lerasium Mistborn, is not a Sliver, but is starting to get close.
- All Slivers by definition must be a human first. Non human entities like spren cannot become Slivers.
- A human must hold a large portion of a Shard, a single bead of lerasium is not enough. Touching the Well of Ascension but not holding and using its power will not change a human into a Sliver.[Citation needed]
- Slivers must have used up that power or released it.
Qualities of a Sliver
Being a Sliver changes a person, there is a residue left behind in a person. This residue has many effects, one of which is that a person who is capable of noticing Investiture would be able to look at someone and tell that they are a Sliver. Holding a large portion of a Shard is similar to inflating a balloon. It is unknown what effects this expansion of their mind and spirit ultimately has on a person. A Sliver knows it is a Sliver. This most likely has to do with the expanded consciousness gained from holding the Shard.[Citation needed][Clarification needed]
Known sources of power to become a Sliver
- Kelsier held Preservation after his and Leras's death until Vin picked up the Shard
- Rashek used the Well of Ascension.
- Vin is a Sliver of Preservation on account of holding Preservation briefly. She was not a Sliver after using the Well of Ascension.
- The Stormfather self-identified as a sliver.
- Is a Sliver someone who has held a Shard temporarily?
— Theoryland - 2011-03-19
- How is a Splinter different from a Sliver?
— Theoryland - 2011-03-19
- Also, would the Elantrians and the Lerasium-mistings be considered Slivers?
— Theoryland - 2010-01-18
- So you talk about the residue a Shard leaves on a sliver
— Theoryland - 2012-09-22
- Like a Balloon
— Theoryland - Mar 4th, 2014
|Shards||Ambition · Autonomy · Cultivation · Devotion · Dominion · Endowment · Honor · Odium · Preservation · Ruin · Survival Shard|
|Planets||Ashyn · Braize · First of the Sun · Nalthis · Roshar · Scadrial · Sel · Taldain · Threnody · Vax · Yolen|
|Terms||Adonalsium · Sliver · Splinter · Realmatic Theory · Intent · Focus · Investiture · Shardpool · Spiritweb|
|Other||Hoid · Seventeenth Shard · Shattering · Worldhopping · Letters · Silverlight|