|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Wards seem to be a concept limited to Vorin lighteyes. A scholarly woman can take on one or more students and teach them numerous subjects, such as mathematics, logic, art or natural history. Such a teacher cannot be forced to accept a ward, and can set conditions that must be fulfilled before a prospective candidate is accepted. In exchange for education, the ward serves as a scribe and assistant to her teacher.
The wardship can be broken off at any point by either the teacher or the ward, but formally it ends only when the teacher decides that her student has at least met the minimum requirements of professional scholarship.
- Shallan Davar is a ward to Jasnah Kholin. Numerous women attempted to become Jasnah's ward, with twelve applying in year 1173 alone. Shallan was the only one to convince Jasnah to accept her. The wardship continues even after Shallan becomes a Lightweaver.
- Jasnah had one other ward, long before Shallan. However, this went poorly, and the two eventually parted ways.
- Teshav Khal has numerous wards, including two with senior status. In the course of her duties, she's always accompanied by at least one: there is one when she's meeting with Dalinar in the warcamps; one at the Battle of Narak; two when speaking with Yanagawn via spanreed; one when Tezim replies to Dalinar's missive; and one when Azimir threatens to destroy their Oathgate. As the wards are never named, it's unclear how many are there, and which of the above are the same people. Janala Lustow might be one of them.
- Litima has a single ward who accompanies her when she reads a passage of The Way of Kings to Dalinar.
- Karavaniga, granddaughter of king Taravangian, becomes a ward to an unknown scholar shortly after her grandfather becomes the king of Jah Keved.
- A number of wards are present during a feast on the Shattered Plains
- In The Way of Kings Prime, the early version of Stormlight Archive, "Jasnah Prime" has a ward named Shinri. Shinri eventually evolved into Shallan, though the differences are vast enough that Brandon considers them to be separate characters. The mention of Jasnah having had another ward a long time ago might be an allusion to Shinri.
- The Way of Kings chapter 5 #
- Oathbringer chapter 25 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 7 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 28 #
- Oathbringer chapter 39 #
- Oathbringer chapter 121 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 8 #
- Oathbringer chapter 44 #
- Shadows of Self London UK signing
— Arcanum - 2015-10-19#
- Oathbringer chapter 12 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 18 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 81 #
- Oathbringer chapter 24 #
- Oathbringer chapter 28 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 26 #
- Oathbringer chapter 122 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 67 #
- Miscellaneous 2014
— Arcanum - 2014-11-14#
- General Reddit 2017
— Arcanum - 2017-09-19#