|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
The ten fools are legendary individuals of cultural significance on Roshar.
The ten fools are invoked to describe someone who is very foolish. Each fool is known for a specific foolish attribute, and has a representative glyph known to Vorin ardents. Specific fools are often referenced in order to emphasize that particular foolish trait. All of the characters who have mentioned the ten fools are Alethi or Veden, implying that the ten fools are not well known in modern Roshar outside of the Vorin religion.
The fools represent the antitheses of the ideals of the ten Heralds. The number of fools stems from the nature of Honor and each fool corresponds to a specific Herald. Unlike the Heralds, it is not yet known if the ten fools are based on historical individuals.
- He acts like a child even though he is an adult.
- He speaks of things he does not understand in front of those who do.
- He ran up a hillside to the Tranquiline Halls with sand sliding beneath his feet—running for eternity, but never making progress.
These quotes demonstrate how Rosharans refer to the ten fools.
”We must have seemed of the ten fools, charging away like that. I do wish you'd given me more notice to prepare your honor guard. This is a war zone.— Dalinar, to Elhokar, after climbing the rock.
”I apologize for wasting your time, Brightlord. You are correct; this is akin to the ten fools.
- Brandon plans to include a painting of the ten fools in one of the books of The Stormlight Archive.
- Words of Radiance chapter 71#
- The Way of Kings chapter 37#
- The Way of Kings chapter 69#
- Words of Radiance interlude I-12#
- General Reddit 2011
— Arcanum - 2011-03-01#
- JordanCon 2018
— Arcanum - 2018-04-22#
- Oathbringer release party
— Arcanum - 2017-11-13#
- Oathbringer chapter 29#
- The Way of Kings chapter 12#
- The Way of Kings chapter 28#