Sea of Lost Lights
|Sea of Lost Lights|
by Isaac Stewart
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
”The sea of beads rolling against itself began to sound soothing. Even rhythmic.
The Sea of Lost Lights lies in the region of Shadesmar corresponding to the Physical nations of Alethkar, Jah Keved and Herdaz, as well as Frostlands and Unclaimed Hills. To the west, if flows into the Sea of Souls; to the east, it reaches the shores of the Expanse of the Broken Sky and Expanse of the Vapors. To the south, a stretch of land separates it from Thaylen Sea, the Cognitive representation of the island of Thaylenah.
The Sea of Lost Lights has numerous narow strips of land, corresponding to Physical rivers, and several small islands, equivalent to lakes. The land is made from a material akin to dark glass or obsidian. There are scant few plants growing, but the population of non-sapient spren is fairly sizeable. The strips of land are known as channels, and most of the notable ones correspond to Deathbend River and its tributaries. They are:
Like all "seas" in Shadesmar, the Sea of Lost Lights isn't actually filled with water, but rather small beads that represent the various Cognitive aspects of physical objects. There is no wind there, nor any weather phenomena other than strips of clouds common to all of Shadesmar. Nonetheless, the sea roils, the beads constantly moving and clacking against each other.
- Sea of Oracles (northern Alethkar and Jah Keved)
- Salavashi Trench (Sunmaker Mountains)
- Glasswater Deep (south Alethkar/ western Frostlands)
- Luminous Shallows (southern Frostlands)
At some point in recent past, honorspren attempted to conquer all of Shadesmar, including Sea of Lost Lights. The attempt left them with poor opinion among other sapient spren. For this reason, they are rare in places like Celebrant, although their warships still sail there.
After attempting to use the Kholinar Oathgate, Shallan, Kaladin, their spren, as well as Adolin and Azure, got trapped in the Sea of Lost Lights. They travelled to Riino's lighthouse, where they managed to find a passage to Celebrant by a ship crewed by Reachers and pulled by Mandras. There, they were chased by the Fused and ended up taking refuge on a honorspren ship Honor's Path, which eventually ferried them to the shore, to the narrow peninsula separating it from Thaylen Sea.
- Oathbringer chapter 93 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_93#
- Map of Shadesmar
- Map of Roshar
- Map of Sea of Lost Lights
- Oathbringer chapter 89 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_89#
- Oathbringer chapter 97 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_97#
- Map of Alethkar
- Oathbringer chapter 47 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_47#
- Oathbringer chapter 102 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_102#
- Oathbringer chapter 99 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_99#
- Oathbringer chapter 110 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_110#