|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Roion princedom is located in the northeast corner of Alethkar, bordered to the west by Aladar princedom and the south by Kholin princedom. The eastern border is the Unclaimed Hills, and to the north is a long coastline that includes a large peninsula. The bodies of water along the coast include the Bay of Elibath, the Nightstream Sea, and Hoel Bay. Several large rivers flow north into the Bay of Elibath, and the settlement of Relanas lies on one of them near the Aladar border. The other notable city in the princedom is Varikev, which is a major port on Hoel Bay.
Highprince Roion refers to it as the smallest of the princedoms. However, he may have been referring to its population, as its geographic area appears to be larger than several of the other princedoms.
The princedom was not particularly wealthy or powerful. Highprince Roion was noted as having won the fewest gemhearts of any of the highprinces on the Shattered Plains, and he did not possess a Shardblade or Shardplate. Because of this, Roion was the first highprince that Dalinar approached when he initially attempted to put together a joint assault on the Parshendi. Roion was very careful in most situations; Torol Sadeas, Jasnah Kholin, and Turinad Sebarial all describe him as cowardly. However, he vehemently denies being a coward; Dalinar agrees, noting that Roion was always negotiating from a point of weakness in the squabbles at the warcamps and could not afford to be aggressive.
Like the other highprinces, Roion recruits (or conscripts) people from both inside and outside of Alethkar. He also uses bridge crews, although he employs larger, safer bridges rather than the lighter ones favored by Torol Sadeas. He does not have a large army, but he has an adequate force in his warcamp. His infantry is unskilled, but his archers are the best among all of the Alethi.
Roion declined Dalinar's initial offer of an Alethi coalition, and Dalinar realized that he was protective of what little power he did have, and would not risk exposing himself. However, Roion was later swayed, and was the first highprince to join Dalinar on the expedition that resulted in the Battle of Narak. Roion was able to offer insightful observations about the potential Parshendi strategy in preparation for the battle, and Dalinar inspired him to lead his army. During the battle, Dalinar believed that Roion's troops were the worst under his command. Roion's lines were indeed among the first broken by the Parshendi, and his armies became trapped on a plateau. Roion's archers performed admirably despite adverse weather conditions, and helped some troops to escape. However, half of the army was killed, and Roion was distraught. Szeth appeared with the intent to kill Dalinar, and Roion and his men attacked him despite the danger. Szeth easily dispatched them all; he launched Roion high into the sky using a Basic Lashing, killing him when he hit the ground. Sebarial helped organize the remaining Roion army in their retreat.
After the battle, Roion's warcamp was abandoned as the residents headed for the Oathgate to Urithiru. Roion's son became the new Highprince Roion, but was thought to be unprepared to lead, especially after the heavy casualties his people suffered in the battle. After they regrouped, Roion's armies remained loyal to Dalinar.
Like the rest of Roshar, Roion princedom presumably had many parshmen residents that were awakened by the Everstorm. The actions of the restored singers tended to vary based on the cultural identity of the humans in the area; Alethi singers tended to become warlike.
- Map of Alethkar
- JordanCon 2018
— Arcanum - 2018-04-21#
- Map of Roshar
- The Way of Kings chapter 24 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_24#
- Words of Radiance chapter 29 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_29#
- Words of Radiance chapter 38 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_38#
- Words of Radiance chapter 80 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_80#
- Words of Radiance chapter 81 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_81#
- The Way of Kings chapter 22 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_22#
- The Way of Kings chapter 29 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_29#
- Words of Radiance chapter 82 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_82#
- Words of Radiance chapter 76 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_76#
- Words of Radiance chapter 83 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_83#
- Words of Radiance chapter 85 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_85#
- Words of Radiance chapter 86 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_86#
- Oathbringer chapter 2 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_2#
- Oathbringer chapter 86 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_86#
- Oathbringer chapter 65 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_65#
Big Smooth (talk) 19:55, 24 September 2019 (UTC)