|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
”Our interference so far has brought nothing but pain. My path has been chosen very deliberately.
Appearance and Personality
”Please, hearken to my plea. Leave that place and join me in my oath of nonintervention. The cosmere itself may depend upon our restraint.
The specific details of Frost's appearance are unknown. He presumably has the powerful shapeshifting abilities common to his race, giving him the power to significantly alter his appearance. His usual appearance is presumably reptilian in nature.
Frost has lived through significant events in the cosmere and has adopted a non-interference policy. He's sarcastic and insulting towards Hoid, although it is clear that their personal relationship is complicated.
by Jenny SlifeWith Hoid
Attributes and Abilities
While not a worldhopper, he is still highly knowledgeable about the cosmere. He is associated with the Seventeenth Shard, a group that shares his nonintervention policy. He is able to keep track of current events in the cosmere through the Seventeenth Shard, correspondence, or other means. Among other facts, he knows that Hoid possesses a bead of lerasium from Scadrial, that Odium is trapped in the Rosharan system, and that a gemstone of Hoid's (presumably the First Gem) is "dead". Despite the existence of an interplanetary "postal service", this was not the method Hoid and Frost used to exchange letters, meaning that they had some other means of contacting one another.
Little is known of Frost's history even though he is truly ancient. He is slightly older than Hoid, and both of them are known to have lived on Yolen. In their correspondence, Frost and Hoid seemed to know each other well, and Frost hinted that they had worked together in the past. They also exhibited a shared personal knowledge of a number of the original sixteen Vessels who perpetrated the Shattering of Adonalsium on Yolen and took up the power of the Shards. Specifically, the letters mentioned Rayse, Bavadin, Aona, Skai, Ati, and Tanavast by name, and Frost referenced "the sixteen".
In Hoid's initial letter to Frost, it seemed that the two had not spoken in some time; Hoid was not sure if Frost was fully aware of the Splintering of Devotion and Dominion on Sel even though several millenia had passed since that event. Hoid begged Frost for his support, implying that Frost still had clout in the cosmere. Frost rebuffed Hoid, emphasizing his nonintervention policy, and referred to their past actions as having caused more harm than good. Although Frost seemed to agree with Hoid's assessment that Odium was dangerous, he did not understand Hoid's level of concern since Odium was trapped in the Rosharan system. The two were diametrically opposed on the best way to save the cosmere, and Frost entreated Hoid to abandon his quest; he felt that this was the only way to ensure that Hoid would not make things worse with his meddling.
- It is likely that there are characters older than Frost in the cosmere, but they have not been canonized.
- Frost first appeared in the unpublished novel Dragonsteel Prime, some of which can be read on Brandon's website. A series of Dragonsteel novels are still in Brandon's long-term plans for the cosmere, and would likely include Frost.
- The Way of Kings chapter 26 epigraph#
- Words of Radiance chapter 66 epigraph#
- Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing
— Arcanum - 2016-11-29#
- OdysseyCon 2016
— Arcanum - 2016-04-08#
- Words of Radiance chapter 74 epigraph#
- Words of Radiance chapter 75 epigraph#
- Skyward Atlanta signing
— Arcanum - 2018-11-17#
- General Twitter 2011
— Arcanum - 2011-01-04#
- Words of Radiance chapter 62 epigraph#
- Words of Radiance chapter 63 epigraph#
- Firefight Seattle Public Library signing
— Arcanum - 2015-01-07#
- Shadows of Self release party
— Arcanum - 2015-10-05#
- Goodreads: Ask the Author Q&A
— Arcanum - 2014-08-13#
- Skyward Seattle signing
— Arcanum - 2018-11-10#
- OdysseyCon 2016
— Arcanum - 2016-04-08#
- /r/books AMA 2015
— Arcanum - 2015-09-08#
- Arcanum Unbounded release party
— Arcanum - 2016-11-22#
- The Way of Kings chapter 14 epigraph#
- Rithmatist Provo signing
— Arcanum - 2013-06-03#
- Words of Radiance chapter 69 epigraph#
- Words of Radiance chapter 60 epigraph#
- General Reddit 2019
— Arcanum - 2019-03-22#
- Mistborn: Secret History part 3 chapter 2#
- Skyward San Diego signing
— Arcanum - 2018-11-07#
- Words of Radiance chapter 70 epigraph#
- The Way of Kings chapter 22 epigraph#
- The Way of Kings chapter 28 epigraph#
- Words of Radiance chapter 67 epigraph#
- The Way of Kings chapter 17 epigraph#
- Skyward release party
— Arcanum - 2018-11-06#
- Dragonsteel Prime Chapter 25: Bridge Four 1
— Brandon's website - c. 2000#
- State of the Sanderson 2018
— Brandon's website - 2018-12-18#
|Shards||Ambition · Autonomy · Cultivation · Devotion · Dominion · Endowment · Harmony · Honor · Invention · Mercy · Odium · Preservation · Ruin · Valor · Whimsy · Survival Shard|
|Planets||Ashyn · Braize · First of the Sun · Nalthis · Obrodai · Roshar · Scadrial · Sel · Taldain · Threnody · Vax · Yolen|
|Terms||Adonalsium · Sliver · Splinter · Realmatic Theory · Investiture · Connection · Identity · Fortune · Intention · Initiation · Perpendicularity · Worldhopper · Spiritweb · Resonance · Axon|
|Other||Hoid · Khriss · Seventeenth Shard · Ire · Shattering · Letters · Silverlight|