by Jenny Slife
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
”Our interference so far has brought nothing but pain. My path has been chosen very deliberately.
Appearance and Personality
Frost has only appeared in written correspondence and specific details of his appearance are therefore unknown. Frost presumably has the powerful shapeshifting abilities common to his race, giving him the ability to significantly alter his appearance. It is likely that his usual appearance is reptilian in nature.
Frost has lived through significant events in the cosmere and has adopted a non-interference policy. In his letter, he is shown to be sarcastic and insulting towards Hoid, although it is clear that their personal relationship is complicated.
Attributes and Abilities
Frost is functionally immortal, meaning that he does not age, but he can be killed. His long life is due to his race. Dragons are also known to have the abilities of flight and shapeshifting (including the ability to appear human).
”Please, hearken to my plea. Leave that place and join me in my oath of nonintervention. The cosmere itself may depend upon our restraint.
He is not a Worldhopper, but he is still highly knowledgeable about the cosmere. He is associated with the Seventeenth Shard, a group that shares his nonintervention policy. He is able to keep track of current events in the cosmere through the Seventeenth Shard, correspondence, or other means. He is aware that Hoid possesses a bead of lerasium from Scadrial, that Odium is trapped in the Rosharan system, and that a gemstone of Hoid's (presumably the First Gem) is "dead".
Frost is the oldest known character in the cosmere, even older than Hoid. In his correspondence with Hoid, Frost exhibits personal knowledge of a number of the original sixteen Vessels who perpetrated the Shattering of Adonalsium on Yolen and took up the power of the Shards. Specifically, Frost and Hoid mention Rayse, Bavadin, Aona, Skai, Ati, and Tanavast by name, and Frost references "the sixteen".
In Hoid's initial letter to Frost, it seems that the two have not spoken in some time; Hoid is not sure if Frost is fully aware of the Splintering of Devotion and Dominion on Sel even though it has been several millenia since that occurred. Hoid begs Frost for his support, implying that Frost still has clout in the cosmere. Frost rebuffs Hoid, emphasizing his nonintervention policy, and refers to their past actions as having caused more harm than good. Although Frost seems to agree with Hoid's assessment that Odium is dangerous, he does not understand Hoid's level of concern since Odium is trapped in the Rosharan system. The two are diametrically opposed on the best way to save the cosmere, and Frost entreats Hoid to abandon his quest to avoid making things worse with his meddling.
- It is likely that there are characters older than Frost in the cosmere, but they have not been canonized.
- Frost first appeared in the unpublished novel Dragonsteel Prime, some of which can be read on Brandon's website. A series of Dragonsteel novels are still in Brandon's long-term plans for the cosmere, and would likely include Frost.
- Words of Radiance chapter 66 epigraph#
- Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing
— Arcanum - 2016-11-29#
- OdysseyCon 2016
— Arcanum - 2016-04-08#
- Skyward Atlanta signing
— Arcanum - 2018-11-17#
- General Twitter 2011
— Arcanum - 2011-01-04#
- Words of Radiance chapter 62 epigraph#
- Words of Radiance chapter 74 epigraph#
- Words of Radiance chapter 63 epigraph#
- Firefight Seattle Public Library signing
— Arcanum - 2015-01-07#
- Shadows of Self release party
— Arcanum - 2015-10-05#
- Skyward Seattle signing
— Arcanum - 2018-11-10#
- OdysseyCon 2016
— Arcanum - 2016-04-08#
- Words of Radiance chapter 75 epigraph#
- /r/books AMA 2015
— Arcanum - 2015-09-08#
- The Way of Kings chapter 26 epigraph#
- Arcanum Unbounded release party
— Arcanum - 2016-11-22#
- The Way of Kings chapter 14 epigraph#
- Rithmatist Provo signing
— Arcanum - 2013-06-03#
- Words of Radiance chapter 69 epigraph#
- Words of Radiance chapter 60 epigraph#
- Goodreads: Ask the Author Q&A
— Arcanum - 2014-08-13#
- Mistborn: Secret History part 3 chapter 2 #
- Skyward San Diego signing
— Arcanum - 2018-11-07#
- Words of Radiance chapter 70 epigraph#
- The Way of Kings chapter 22 epigraph#
- The Way of Kings chapter 28 epigraph#
- Words of Radiance chapter 67 epigraph#
- The Way of Kings chapter 17 epigraph#
- General Reddit 2019
— Arcanum - 2019-03-22#
- Skyward release party
— Arcanum - 2018-11-06#
- Dragonsteel Prime Chapter 25: Bridge Four 1
— Brandon's website - c. 2000#
- State of the Sanderson 2018
— Brandon's website - 2018-12-18#
Big Smooth (talk) 12:05, 24 June 2019 (MST)
|Shards||Ambition · Autonomy · Cultivation · Devotion · Dominion · Endowment · Harmony · Honor · Odium · Preservation · Ruin · Survival Shard|
|Planets||Ashyn · Braize · First of the Sun · Nalthis · Obrodai · Roshar · Scadrial · Sel · Taldain · Threnody · Vax · Yolen|
|Terms||Adonalsium · Sliver · Splinter · Realmatic Theory · Investiture · Connection · Identity · Fortune · Intention · Perpendicularity · Spiritweb · Resonance|
|Worldhoppers||Hoid · Khriss · Nazh · Iyatil · Mraize · Vasher · Vivenna · Galladon · Demoux · Baon · Felt · Nightblood|
|Other||Seventeenth Shard · Ire · Shattering · Letters · Silverlight|