|Related to||Realmatic Theory, Investiture|
A focus is a specific magic-related term in the Cosmere. It is the method by which Investiture can be formed into magical effects. Magic systems and magical engineering use these focuses to filter Investiture into a magical effect. The focus is determined by the interaction of the Shardworld and a Shard but the World is the key factor and all magics will use the focus in some way, how it is used is determined by the interaction of the Shards.
Magic systems and their Focus
- AonDor uses patterns connected to the geography of Arelon that, when drawn by an Elantrian, allow Investiture to affect the Physical Realm.
- Forgery uses stamps with detailed instructions to alter something's history. The map of MaiPon is drawn on all the stamps.
- Bloodsealing uses stamps inked with fresh blood with detailed instructions. Little is known of this form of magic, but it is believed to be an offshoot of Forgery
- ChayShan is a martial art that allows the use of Investiture through patterns created by movements of the body.
- Dakhor uses chanting and blood sacrifice. The bones in the body twist into new shapes. These shapes determine what effect or ability is granted.
- Allomancy uses metal by taking it into the body where it is used as a filter to determine what effect is created.
- Feruchemy uses metal to determine what attributes can be stored in it.
- Hemalurgy uses metal to steal and implant attributes, both magical and non magical, from one person to the next via metal spikes. The shape of the spike is irrelevant The type of metal determines what can be stolen. The location on the body is important when implanting a Hemalurgic spike. Flowing blood is required.
- Awakening uses Breath and color drawn from non-living material as fuel while commands determine what effect is created. Commands are used to animate objects, the exact wording, pitch and tone is important in this process while the mental picture in the Awakener's mind determines the awakened objects' capacities greatly.
- Surgebinding is granted by the Nahel Bond between spren and humans. The type of spren determines what Surges are available to be used. For example, a bond with an honorspren, like Syl, grants the surges of Gravitation and Adhesion, while a bond with an inkspren, such as Ivory, grants the surges of Transformation and Transportation.
- Soulcasting uses gems infused with Stormlight. The type of gem (one gem per essence) determines what a substance can be transformed into.
Magic Sciences and Their Focus
- Fabrials are a magical Science System that uses an infused Gem's color, captured Spren, and mechanical configuration to create an effect.
Scadrial sciences are used commonly in the southern hemisphere. They involve medallions that are filled by Feruchemy, but left unkeyed and unsealed. This means that anybody, even non-Feruchemists, can use them. Only certain combinations can be worn.
In southern Scadrial, they have used the combination of Allomancy and Feruchemy to create flying, airplane-like ships.
Magic without direct Shard influence
Worlds without a Shard often have no active magic that the people living on them can directly use.
- Aviar eat a worm that grants unique powers to each Species of animal. They bond with humans and share these powers.
- Shades are the ghosts of the dead and are harmed by silver.
|Shards||Ambition · Autonomy · Cultivation · Devotion · Dominion · Endowment · Harmony · Honor · Odium · Preservation · Ruin · Survival Shard|
|Planets||Ashyn · Braize · First of the Sun · Nalthis · Obrodai · Roshar · Scadrial · Sel · Taldain · Threnody · Vax · Yolen|
|Terms||Adonalsium · Sliver · Splinter · Realmatic Theory · Investiture · Connection · Identity · Fortune · Intention · Initiation · Perpendicularity · Worldhopper · Spiritweb · Resonance · Axi|
|Other||Hoid · Khriss · Seventeenth Shard · Ire · Shattering · Letters · Silverlight|