|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Appearance and Anatomy
Chull shells are a light, porous stone created from minerals the chull consumes in its food and water and then excretes. Since the shell is not alive, chulls are not hurt when their shells are cracked or shaped. In the wild, there are often plants growing in the crevices of a chull's shell. Chulls pull their legs and head into their shell when they sleep, and as a result sleeping chulls look like large boulders or small hills.
Chulls are generally docile creatures. They have claws that are said to be strong enough to break a man's arm, but it is very unusual for them to behave aggressively.  They tend to move with a slow, lumbering gait and are generally slower than humans.
There are several different methods of training chull.
- In the rural areas of Jah Keved, chulls are harnessed and controlled with complex leather bridles.
- In the coastal region around Kharbranth, chull drivers often sit directly on the chull's shell and direct them by tapping on their antennae with long poles.
- Some chulls are trained to respond to different rhythms tapped out on their shells with a guiding reed. These reeds are often as long as a person is tall and allow the driver to drive from the wagon or cart rather than riding on the chull itself. 
Chull are highly valued as work animals and are considered to be worth more than the average slave. Some people maintain chull herds and rent their labor out on a contract basis.They are slow but strong and are used to pull everything up to and including the large complex bridges Dalinar uses for chasm crossings. Since their shells can be carved without harming the animal, some people sand flat places on top of a chull to ride and many carts are hooked to fittings drilled directly into their shells. Shelves and racks can also be carved into or attached directly to chull shells. 
”You think I'm scared of a lumbering chull like you?
”Jasnah is inordinately fond of dust, I believe she thrives on it, feeding off the particles like a chull crunching rockbuds.
”An army was like a massive chull at times, lumbering along, slow to react
”Everyone has a place. You're out of yours. Like a chull in a dining hall
- The Way of Kings chapter 4 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 28 #
- Inkthinker's comments on the Chull page from Shallan's Sketchbook
— Deviant Art #
- The Way of Kings chapter 23 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 12 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 21 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 26 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 2 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 17 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 46 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 15 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 3 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 70 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 12 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 46 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 33 #
- The Way of Kings chapter 56 #
- Words of Radiance chapter 44 #