by Ben McSweeney
|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
Axehounds are animals native to Roshar that fill a similar niche as dogs do on Earth. They have been domesticated, but there are also still wild axehounds.
Appearance and Anatomy
Axehounds are hexapedal creatures with a smooth hide is that is a sort of cross between skin and carapace. It is more flexible than true carapace, but, like carapace is formed of interlocking sections. They have a fluting fish-like tail. Axehounds have a pair of feather-like antennae positioned on the top of their heads which they can move as a form of communication. They have ear holes slightly further back on the sides of their heads. Axehounds have a main jaw as well as a pair of outer mandibles that they use to break into the shells of their prey. Their blood is violet.
There are a wide variety of breeds of Axehounds. The largest come up to a man's waist while the smallest can easily hide in the underbrush of a lait. Smaller breeds of axehounds tend to be very fast.
The Axehound call consists of two voices that overlap and echo with one another and is referred to as "trumping". When an axehound is content, their trumping can sound like a hum, but when angered or in pain, it is more of a bellow.
Axehounds are kept and bred as pets across Roshar, though different breeds are popular in different regions.
Axehound fighting and the accompanying betting culture is popular in some areas. There are axehound fights at the Middlefest Fair the Davar family attends in Jah Keved. Axehounds are also involved in organized hunts.
”...bellowing like an axehound whose antenna had been twisted.—
”...You'd have me slink home like a scolded axehound?—
”...like pet axehounds nipping at their master's heels.—
”...He settled down like a trumping axehound, perfectly content.—
”Then he zipped up to join her, eager as an axehound puppy.—
”The Kholin boys are chained axehounds, and we smell blood.—
”...looking down longingly, like axehounds contemplating the food on the master’s table.—
”They didn’t hold ground well; they had broken into roving bands, like axehound packs, loping through the city and looking for contests.—
- An Axehound from Shallan's sketchbook
- The Way of Kings interlude I-2 Summary: The Way of Kings/Interlude_I-2#
- Words of Radiance chapter 45 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_45#
- The Way of Kings chapter 45 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_45#
- Words of Radiance chapter 30 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_30#
- The Way of Kings chapter 1 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_1#
- Words of Radiance chapter 75 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_75#
- Words of Radiance chapter 36 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_36#
- The Way of Kings chapter 69 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_69#
- The Way of Kings chapter 18 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_18#
- The Way of Kings chapter 12 Summary: The Way of Kings/Chapter_12#
- Words of Radiance chapter 60 Summary: Words of Radiance/Chapter_60#
- Edgedancer chapter 20 Summary: Edgedancer/Chapter_20#
- Oathbringer chapter 11 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_11#
- Oathbringer chapter 38 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_38#
- Oathbringer chapter 120 Summary: Oathbringer/Chapter_120#