|Featured In||The Stormlight Archive|
The size of a larkin ranges between the size of a hand and a small melon. They are somewhat similar to cremlings in appearance, although, unlike the cremlings' crabbish face, the larkin have a small face, like that of an axehound, with a snout, mouth, and shimmering eyes of solid silver, as well as wings that folded out of their backs. Their wings are strong enough that they can fly, at least in small distances.
The most outstanding feature of a larkin is its ability to suck Stormlight out of a Surgebinder at will. The Stormlight can be seen streaming from the Surgebinder towards the larkin's mouth as it is drinking in the Stormlight. It is unknown if the larkin can suck Stormlight only from a Surgebinder or if the Surgebinder can resist the larkin.
The larkin are associated with the Knights Radiant, though the specifics of their connection remain a mystery. One effect of this connection is possibly that Surgebinders can sense a larkin's mood.
- Elhokar Kholin has the corpse of a larkin trapped inside a block of crystal to use as a paperweight in his conference room in the Pinnacle.
- Rysn was given a live larkin by the Tai-na, Relu-na.
- Nale used one to drain Lift of Stormlight while attempting to capture her.
- Are the creatures on the frontsheet's crabwasps or crabdragons?
— Theoryland - 2012-09
- Words of Radiance interlude I-3
- Words of Radiance interlude I-9
- The Way of Kings Front Endsheet
- Words of Radiance chapter 5
It has yet to be reviewed.